Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

A TROPHY FISH SWIMS!!!!

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

A TROPHY FISH SWIMS!!!!

Postby captainbutch » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:43 am

SATURDAY 8-13-05: Today we picked up Mike, Chris, and Jay Mullen, and their friend Jim Legarelli. The plan was to head offshore and pick up some bottom fish then head back inside where they had been picking up some large king mackeral over the last few days. Well, that's what we did. Upon arriving back in we promptly acquired a tank full of pogys and headed for the river channel where we seen a boat "hooked up" on the way in. Here we deployed our baits. There was lots of bait fish on the chart so it should be a good place. Listening to the radio talk, it was evident that the king bite was real spotty at best. Well, let's keep working all this bait, if they decide to bite this is where it will happen. About that time the downrigger rod went off. We thought it was going to start, but it was a shark. Trolling on, about that time a BIG FISH rolled on the prop wash bait twice, and missed it both times. Things are looking up!! Then it happened: A BIG, I mean BIG FISH jumped with our bait in its mouth. The reels clicker was screaming as I yelled, BIG TARPON, clear the lines. Mike Mullen was the man on the rod while I took the helm and we started working together to bring this estimated fish somewhere in the 200 to 250 lb. range to boat side. He may have been even larger than that, it was a BIG TARPON!!!! We had him on 17 lb. test cajun line on a king mackeral rig. Very light tackle for a fish of this size. Everything has to go perfact to land this fish, I said. Mike worked the fish perfect!! He would gain a little and loose a lot for a while. This battle went on for 4 1/2 hours, then the unthinkable happens. We couldn't believe what we were seeing. The 20 foot leader was already being wound up on the reel, the fish was just a few feet from being in gaff range, then it happened!!!! The fish made another run and the power swivel that we use to connect the leader to the line caught on the last eye on the rod and broke the leader!!!! We looked in total disbelief, we have landed 50 lb. king mackeral, no telling how big sharks, this has never happened before!!! A tiny swivel ended it all!!! All you guys that use this system might want to re-think your terminal tackle. I'll tell you this, it will never happen again on my boat!!!! Mike could have considered the catch a success since we touched the leader. But, I understand how he feels, we didn't get to touch the fish or get pictures of him but he had better be prepared for round two, next time there won't be a swivel to malfunction!!! We now know the true meaning of the saying "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat". Mike, you did a great job, as I said before, everything has to go perfect to land a fish that big, a swivel was the weak link in this fight, it definately was not anything you did, that fish is YOURS. CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT CATCH!!!!!!!! Be sure to check our site for pictures and fishing reports. I will end this report on another disheartning issue. My son, Capt. Chris , who is also the mate on the "YEAH RIGHT" will be leaving me today to go back to college. He will be home most weekends to mate for us but he will surely be missed during the week. I want to thank all of you for the thoughtful comments you have made to me and Capt. Chris this summer, all of our fishermen and fisherwomen have a special place in our hearts and we appreciate all of you!!!. We will still get the job done with Capt. Chris gone back to school, but we-- I will surely miss him!!!! So, Till next time, FISH ON!!!! Capt. Butch Foster, Capt. Chris Foster, and Bodie "the fish dog" says HI!!!!. YEAH RIGHT SPORTFISHING CHARTERS, Southport, NC. (910)845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
For the finest fishing on the NC coast come fish with Capt. Butch on the "YEAH RIGHT" here in Southport, NC. Just give us a call and start the fishing trip of a lifetime!!! (910) 845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
captainbutch
First Mate
First Mate

Postby valar2006 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:50 pm

valar2006

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central