Terms of Use
 Web Development

Reel Adventure NON STOP REDFISH 3/12/06

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

Reel Adventure NON STOP REDFISH 3/12/06

Postby Reel Adventure » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:48 pm

Wilmington NC REPORT

What a awesome weekend! On Saturday I had Dennis from Ireland and his son from Penn State aboard for some of our shallow water redfish. I had high hopes with the nice weather we have had all week. As soon as the boat hit the water I was surprised to see 58 degree, slick as glass water. Yep, the wind FINALLY layed down!! We got to spot number one and never left! As soon as I dropped the trolling motor I could see the boils of bait fish and the wakes of redfish down the bank a few hundred feet. Up came the trolling motor and out came the push pole. This was a HUGE school of reds and I did not want to spook them in the foot and a half of water with the motor. These are the type of school's I dream about and they did not know we were there! I poled as fast as I could to get within range and as luck would have it they were moving away from me. After a minute or two more of poling we finally were in range and they were busy busting on bait fish that were cruising the shoreline...still unaware of us. I got both my anglers on the bow..told them to cast at the exact same time as each other and they put the Gulp! jerk baits right on target! First double hookup of the day. As soon as we hooked them I hit the switch for the power pole and we stopped in place so we would not disturb the rest of the school. A minute or two later a nice 26 inch red and a 17 inch red were quickly caught and released. Very next cast same result! We got 6 fish out of the school before we spooked it off for good! Awesome! We cruised out with the tide and stopped at the end of the flat right near the deeper water. On the falling tide the fish have to move to deeper water and they use certain lanes (that are maybe 8 inches or so deeper) on the flats each time to do so. This is exactly where we positioned our selves for the parade of redfish that presently surprised us! We had about 6 small schools come right out to us and we picked up 3 more reds sight casting to these schools. Precision casting was the ticket for these fast moving schools. As we were leaving I saw another great site..62 DEGREE WATER TEMP!! If the weather keeps going like it is our "fishing season" is going to be about a month early!

Today (Sunday) we ran out again and there was more of a crowd today and the wind was kicked up a bit but we managed one redfish for the short time we were there. We got a bit sidetracked by a dolphin in a foot or so of water chasing redfish. It was awesome! We got right up to the dolphin and watched and then got really close to it. It could have gotten away from us but instead it hung around and played with us for about 5 minutes before heading for deeper water.

LETS GO!
Capt. Matt Wirt
Reel Adventure Charters
Next Level Custom Rods
www.reel-adventure.com
(910)-540-0570
Wilmington, NC
Reel Adventure
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central