Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

SOUTHPORT,NC FISHING REPORT

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

SOUTHPORT,NC FISHING REPORT

Postby captainbutch » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:20 am

Saturday 4-1-06: Friday morning at 3:30Am until around midnight last night, "yep", those are the kind of days you put in when you fish for a living!! But, It's what I love to do, and I am fortunate to be able to do what I love and be able to earn a livelyhood at the same time. But just like any other job, some times it has it's downfalls, but, not Friday!!!!

We went back East of the Tower this morning and the Kings were still there. The bite was not as hot as we left it the evening before. We were starting to do fairly good then a fish hit and the reel screamed as he went straight down. Looks like a tuna run we said!! Guess what, an hour and a half later we saw a "BIG" Blackfin Tuna on the hook. Capt Chris worked him to boat side like the seasoned pro he is. Now, as for the gaff man, well, that's a different story!!!!!!!!!!

As he made his circle I drove the gaff home, "YEAH RIGHT". As things happen in fishing, I don't know what went wrong, but he came off the gaff and as Capt Chris was bringing him back to boat side the hooks just pulled out. Let's see, wasn't there a phrase for that one time that went like: "The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat", or something like that!!

We set the lines back out and then it happened again. Only this time it was a much larger fish. The battle was on again. the fish was finally brought close enough in the crystal clear water and what we saw looked like a 60 to 70 lb. Yellowfin Tuna. Try that on king tackle. The decision was finally made to tighten the drag and try to pull him up off the bottom. We nearly did it, but three+ hours into this one and the line broke!!

Well, now the morning bite on the kings was all but over. We put the lines back out and as every one else was reporting, the bite had shut down. QWe had missed the morning bite fooling with those tunas on light tackle. We ran back inshore about 8 miles and dropped on some bottom structure and started catching some nice bottom fish. We did this a little while until the tide went slack and they stopped biting.

We left there and went back to the spot for some more king fishing. We found it to still be real slow. I hated to leave because the bite had been hot there just yesterday, and it was good that morning. But, the day was running out and we had messed with those tuna's all morning and we didn't even have a "box" of fish yet.

Reel them in, I told Capt Chris. Somebody has got to make a call, might as well be me!!! If we don't find them, then I'll take the blame!! Now, yesterday in the Tower area the bait was "stacked up". That,s where I am going, I said. We made the run there and put out the lines. A few boats were there hooked up. We started out sorta slow, and I was starting to think that maybe I had made a wrong call. Pull them in again Chris, let's move over to that rock ledge we have on our LORAN!!

We did, and let me tell you, as the old saying goes, the rest is history!! we could not keep the lines in the water. Four fish on at any one time. The kings were hitting the baits as you were putting them out. These are the kind of days you dream about. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, but be sure to check the weather before you head out, it can and does change quick down here. If you can get away, go on out to the Tower and get you some kings. Now, if you are in my spot when I get there, well, that's quite all right, but, you might have to move over a little.

I sure hope my fishing reports help out in your search for fish. I know it is running me a small fortune in fuel these days just to go to the Tower and back, and if I can cut your search down, then I feel like I am doing my job!!! I said a small fortune, but it is getting close to a big fortune!! If you like my reports, let us know, it takes a lot of time and effort to keep all this up, but, if you guys like what we do, then that makes what I do worth while. Like I have said in the past"without all of you, what I do would be useless"!! If you have the time and opportunity, we would appreciate a comment on our "GUESTBOOK" or an email. But, this is totally if you would like to!!The "GUESTBOOK" helps us keep our ratings up!!!

The last report I got from the Gulfstream was not good. Only heard of one Wahoo caught. We are scheduled to head out there Monday. The weather is "iffy" right now. If we get to go, you can find out what happens right here. Stay in touch, and if I can help, don't hesitate to ask!! Be sure to see the pic's on my site on "FISHING REPORTS & CATCH PHOTOS"Till next time, FISH ON!!! Capt Butch Foster, Capt Chris Foster, and "Private Bodie" the fish dog says HI and FISH ON!!!!!!. YEAH RIGHT SPORTFISHING CHARTERS, Southport,NC. (910)845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
For the finest fishing on the NC coast come fish with Capt. Butch on the "YEAH RIGHT" here in Southport, NC. Just give us a call and start the fishing trip of a lifetime!!! (910) 845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
captainbutch
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central