Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

GULFSTREAM REPORT

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

GULFSTREAM REPORT

Postby captainbutch » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:51 pm

Thursday 4-13-06. It is 11:00PM Thursday night and I hit the floor running at 4:00AM this morning, so, I will probably make this as detailed as I have the ability to right now. We left South Harbour Marina this morning with Mike and Tim Laudicina, their friends, Rob Wilson and John Fleming. Our mission was the Gulfstream and Tuna and dolphin and Wahoo.

The first stop we made was at the 100/400, the water temp was fine and there was a little bait around but I didn't like the water color so we moved on to the Black Jack. Here things looked a lot better!! We put out a spread of Cedar Plugs and a deep diving lure, a Manns stretch 50 in a pink color. It wasn't long before a reel sounded off as a Mahi-Mahi crashed the bait, a black and purple cedar plug. We boated him and not long after that something attacked the deep diving plug we had out. I mean literally attacked it, and as far as I know, he still has it!! Figured it was a Wahoo as it cut the line just above where it was tied on!!!

Now, the reports from the other boats were very slim to none!! I only heard of one Wahoo and one Yellowfin being caught today on other boats,. I decided after trolling for about another hour with nothing happening to head to the Steeples. When we got there, the water was that beautiful cobalt blue gulfstream water and the temps were warmer and there was some flying fish here and a lot more bait than at the first two stops.

Here I marked a school of bait and pulled the lures through it to have three reels go off. One cut off a "Green Machine" the other one had a smaller blackfin tuna, and the other "had" a good size Blackfin Tuna, but, when the dust settled all we had was 1 and 1/3 Blackfin Tunas in the boat. Something big ate the biggest blackfin, all but the head!!! The stream is still slow to get fired up this year, it is past time and it should explode at any time!!

We continued to circle the bait where we caught the blackfins but it was soon obvious that we were done here so we left and finished the day bottom fishing. The bottom fish are still cooperating rather well along with the sharks. We caught nice sized Black Bass, Big Pinkies, Big Grey Snapper, Nice Joltheads and Triggerfish, a good Flounder, and even a few B-liners. The King Mackeral also decided to bite fairly good today after a terrible day yesterday!!

We have cancelled tomorrows charter due to the forecast winds. Saturday doesn't look any better as does Sunday and Monday. Yeah, it's that time of the year, we don't have to like it, but, we can't do anything about it but wait until it decides to settle down and be ready to go when it does!!!

You may want to consider this if you fish much!! You can get the "Road Use Tax" you pay on gas refunded to you on fuel you use in your boat or any other appratus that is not used on the hwy ie; tractor, lawn mower, etc. Just keep all your reciepts and call the North Carolina Dept. of Revenue Motor Fuels Tax Division at (919)733-3409 before the end of the year and request form "Gas-1201". If you are also commercial as we are, you can also save the Sales Tax. You may want to consider this, it can save you a lot of money on fuel if you fish much.

Well, when the weather breaks again we will be back out there and we will let you know what's going on! Or at least what's going on with us anyway!!! So. until we can go again, Check out the pic's on our web site on the "FISHING REPORTS & CATCH PHOTOS" page!! FISH ON!!!!Capt Butch Foster, Capt Chris Foster, and "Private Bodie" the fish dog says HI!!!!. YEAH RIGHT SPORTFISHING CHARTERS, SOUTHPORT,NC (910)845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
For the finest fishing on the NC coast come fish with Capt. Butch on the "YEAH RIGHT" here in Southport, NC. Just give us a call and start the fishing trip of a lifetime!!! (910) 845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
captainbutch
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central