Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

Reel Adv. TAILING REDFISH! over 20 caught! 2 weeks of report

Postby Reel Adventure » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:23 pm

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 23

JUNE 4 REPORT:

The fishing continues to be great!! We were greeted today with no wind and a low tide, perfect conditions for sight casting to some cape fear redfish! We launched the boat into the crystal clear, slick as glass water. As soon as we arrived to the first flat we found the fish. They were everywhere. We tied on a 1/8 ounce weighted hook, attached the Berkley Gulp! jerk bait and we were in business. We proceeded down the feeding lanes of the flat and saw the best sight you can almost ever see. A ENTIRE school of tailing redfish. I could hardly cast to them due to my heart pounding so hard!! The first cast in we hooked up! We snapped a few pics and released him. We followed the school and I threw th jerk bait back into them and watched it as it came into the school and actually watched the redfish inhale it! Awesome! We did this for over 1 1/2 hours of non stop action and ended up with over 20 fish caught in a foot of water and released! This is sight casting at it's finest! Not every day is like this unfortunately, but when everything lines up nothing in life is better than sight casting to the tailing redfish!

MAY 29 REPORT:

WOW! is the only word I can think of to describe last weeks fishing! It has been great and every charter has caught and released lots of redfish and we have limited out on every trip. I love flats fishing but the wind we have had lately has made flats fishing very tough. With the up coming charters I had to re group and had to find the fish FAST! Since live bait is EVERYWHERE we cast netted a few and hit the docks in search of the reds. We found them holding TIGHT to the docks and my 10lb tackle was no match for the structure dependent reds. We pulled out some heavier spinning rods with 20 LB Spiderwire, locked the drags down, tied on a carolina rig consisting of a 1 1/2 oz egg sinker, 40lb swivel, 8 inches of 17lb Vanish Fluorocarbon and a Eagle Claw L 42 2/0 hook. From there on we had very few break off's. With the large size menhaden we were using for bait the the larger sinker held it in place better and also resisted the effects of the current and kept the bait from getting swept under the docks. When the reds hit we would set the hook right away and snatch them out of the docks. It is awesome because you feel the full power of the fish! The redfish action should be great all summer so get down here and do battle with some of these reds!

Lets go fishing!
Capt. Matt Wirt
www.reel-adventure.com

Capt. Matt Wirt
Reel Adventure Charters
Next Level Custom Rods
www.reel-adventure.com
(910)-540-0570
Wilmington, NC
Reel Adventure
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy