Terms of Use
 Web Development

FISHING UPDATE

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

FISHING UPDATE

Postby captainbutch » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:25 am

SATURDAY12-30-06
We were headed offshore today with Steve Walters, Scott Walters,Marc Estridge, Richard Webb,, and Rob Trimmier. However, about ten miles out we decided with the Tower Buoy reporting 4 ft seas every 4 seconds and a stiff NE wind, that it was going to be too nasty and get worse offshore where I had originally planned to go.

With the change in plans, we headed for the ledges off of Southport and the Lighthouse Rocks areas. The current was running strong with a good 3 to 4 foot wave and the water inside this close was cold at 58 degrees and the bite today on the bottom fish was slow at best. The fishing conditions for bottom fishing were tough at best!!!

I had believed for a long time that when the water gets this cold that Sharks would leave the area for warmer water, well, that theory was abolished today. We caught a limit of Atlantic Sharpnose and released many more. There were plenty of Black Bass, but, this years limit of 11 inches made it necessary to release the countless numbers of 10 7/8 inch fish that were caught. There were a few blue fish and joltheads mixed in as well. Today was not one of the better catching days, and I am embarrased with the results. But, with what Mother Nature gave me to work with, I did the best I could do, and I will always give my reports to you "straight up". What's the old saying? "Sometimes the truth hurts". Thanks guys for being true fishermen and understanding that some times this is just the way it is!!!!

There were some King Mackeral caught today at the 15 mile rock in 61 degree water. No, that's not a misprint, 61 degree's!!

The big news is still the Bluefin Tuna that continue to bite here from Ocean Isle to the Knuckle Buoy!! Today, There were several fish caught today, I heard that there were around 10 caught. I do know of 4 confirmed landings with fish in the high 70's and one reported to be 89 inches. The bite is still happening mostly in the Shark Hole to the Knuckle buoy area and on the Frying Pan Shoals where the Pogys are starting to "stack up". This will provide a feeding mecca for the Bluefins and the January bite should just get better!!!

It's not a dream anymore!!! The fish of choice this time of year now has got to be the Bluefin Tuna's we have right here in our back yard. Who would have ever thought that we would get a World Class Bluefin Fishery right here in Southport, But, we did and it is for real!!!

The weather is not looking good for the next few days at this time. But, as you know if you fish here, it can and does change quick sometimes. So, keep it monitored and when the opportunity arises, tie on some "JAG-3" trolling lures from "BLUEWATER CANDY" Lures, place a "Horse Hoo" or a "BONEYARD BAITS" 11 inch Grub behind it, and when your number gets called, HANG ON!!!!! Till next time, FISH ON!!!! Capt Butch and "Private Bodie" the fish dog says, you guys come on back anytime, I love to play "get your foot"!!! www.yeahrightcharters.com
For the finest fishing on the NC coast come fish with Capt. Butch on the "YEAH RIGHT" here in Southport, NC. Just give us a call and start the fishing trip of a lifetime!!! (910) 845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
captainbutch
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central