Terms of Use
 Web Development

GULFSTREAM UPDATE

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

GULFSTREAM UPDATE

Postby captainbutch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 pm

3-27-11

We were a little concerned with the way the winds blew all week that Saturday's trip to the stream was in jeopardy. But as Friday progressed the winds settled down to calm and we met at South Harbour Marina Saturday morning at 6AM and we went fishing.

Our "make up" trip included an observer. This was Mike Marsh, noted Author, Writer, and Wildlife Biologist. Mike went along on our "Observer License" to do a Magazine Article on the trip.

The rest of the crew was Stephen Nichols, who caught the Wahoo, from Winston Salem,NC, Stevens girlfriend, Susan Queen from Pilot Mountain,NC caught a nice Bonito, Tom Nicholson, from Wilmington,NC caught a nice Blackfin Tuna, and Alex Lee and Jesse Vang from Raleigh,NC were with us as well helping to catch hound fish and bonitos.

I got a temperature chart and it showed the warmer water to be to the North around the Same Ol'. That's a long run from Southport, but showed the most promise, so, off we went.

Actually, when I "jumped" the shoals, I was able to run from here to there in three hours, man I love those new Nibral Props I put on the boat last year.

For a boat this size and weight, she will "carry the mail" now. Before I replaced the props, it would have been a 4 1/2 hour run.

Lets talk about the fishing now, actually lets do better than that and talk about the catching. When I arrived at the Same Ol', the water was dirty and off colored.

This only proved to be a mental block, I don't think the fish were bothered to much. The Wahoo were there, along with Mahi Mahi, hound fish, bonito, skip jacks, and Black Fin Tuna.

Capt Chris put out a spread of of hoo's and a black and purple Yo-Zuri bonito lure on an 80W with a Planer Bridle that we make ourselves, and it wasnt long until Steven was hooked up with a nice Wahoo.

The rest of our fish came off blue/white and pink/white colors of Blue Water Candy lures JAG 3 Lures

Capt John on the "Midhight Wind" was reporting being attacked by bonito and hound fish and having Mahi jump off the hook. Later on he reported catching some nice Mahi and also got a Wahoo on before a bonito or hound fish got the bait.

We hooked up a hound fish next. Then we got a Tuna, and after this all the rods went off as we pulled the ballyhoo's through a school of bonito.

Reports coming over the radio of the bottom fishing was good on the inside of the break and Capt Rick Crowson of Living Waters Guide Service was reporting having good luck on the jigging.

One Capt was having a banner day, don't know who he was, he was talking to his buddy, don't know who he was either, but he reported having four or five Wahoo's and a couple of Blackfin Tuna.

As the old saying goes, "some days you get the bear, and some days the bear get you". There's a lot to being at the right place at the right time in fishing. And, being good at what you do doesn't hurt either.

As for me, I like to think that I am good at what I do, but, I will also confess, I won't turn my back on a little good luck either!!

You know what I mean, like when you and your buddy are fishing in the same boat together and he catches everything and all you can do is watch and net his fish. I thought this would clear up what I mean!!!!

A few other Capts were reporting basically the same results. Don't know who they were, they stayed within their circle.

I would have preferred not to have to run way up to the north, not only was I out of my territory up in this area, it's a long haul up there from here. We normally go to the Black Jack, 100/400 and Steeples areas.

Here we know the area and up at the Same Ol' we were sorta "fishing blind", not knowing the area. But, it's better to fish an area you don't know when the fish and water temps are better than go where the water's too cold for the fish.

I will have to admit, this trip restored my faith in people again. I have had some real problems with "make up" trips in the past, this one was a real pleasure to be on!!

Restored my faith to the point that I am going to try another one, and will continue doing them until I have problems again.

This is a great way for someone to be able to go on a fishing trip that just can't get a group together. Also, a great way to make new friends that like to fish like you do!!

This will be the last Saturday Gulfstream Trip I will be offering right now, as our next available Saturday open after this trip is July 16th.

The next trip will be in two weeks on April 9th. The price will remain at a discounted price of $200.00 per person.

No money required up front, a Visa or MC number will hold your spot!!! Lets go fishin', you might catch a bunch, you might not, that's why it's called fishing and not catching, but you WILL have fun!!!

Now remember this, if it's too rough to fish and have fun, I don't go, and there will be no cost to anyone!! I make the final call on the weather, winds, and trip in the very early morning hours the day of the trip.

Call us @ (910)845-2004 and reserve your seat on the "Yeah Right II", first six callers get a seat, and you too can feel the bone jarring and exilerating experience when a clicker screams and someone yells, FISH ON!!!!!!

Till next time, God Bless everyone!!!!

FISH ON!!!
Capt Butch Foster
For the finest fishing on the NC coast come fish with Capt. Butch on the "YEAH RIGHT" here in Southport, NC. Just give us a call and start the fishing trip of a lifetime!!! (910) 845-2004. www.yeahrightcharters.com
captainbutch
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central