Baja to Seattle

Moderator: admin

Tuna in the Anchorage

Postby bajafly » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:27 pm

Endless Season Update July 17th, 2010
REPORT #1223 "Below the Border" Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996

[b]East Cape [/b]

[img]http://www.bajafly.com/report/image.2010/071810.gif[/img]
[i]Could have been a contender dorado; unfortunately it was not caught in the Dorado Shootout this weekend. [/i]

As expected the cooler off-color water is receding, but this week brought another oddity. For several days there were YFT's being caught among the mooring balls of the hotels. Nothing huge but if you went out 30 to 40 miles where the porpoise play, there were some up to 75 pounds.

There were plenty of the smaller fish caught in the Dorado Shootout this weekend but getting a big one was tough .

The billfish action has remained steady but has had little pressure with most anglers choosing the other species as their preferred target.

The epoch roosterfish bite continued another week producing some 50+ pound fish almost daily. There has also been an appearance of schools of sierra , usually more of a winter event.

Lastly, the pargo bite yielded a few fish to 25 pounds.

Current East Cape Weather http://tiny.cc/EastCapeWeather303

[b]Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico[/b]

Preparations for the big First Flyfishing Tournament which will be held August 13, 14, 15th are underway; as usual when there is a big event planned everyone gets tight-lipped about the fishing. .... [i]Bob Hoyt[/i]

Current Magdalena Bay Weather http://tiny.cc/MagBayWeather150

[b]Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico[/b]

The 80° blue water is practically on the beach. The fishing is really decent, as each boat fishing the blue water is averaging two sailfish a day, and at least 1
dorado of 20-25 pounds. However, not many boats fished this week, with only four or five boats going out a day.

We had been getting rain at night, but today and yesterday we had rain in the morning and early afternoon. However, the fishing has not been affected.

Adolfo, on the panga Dos Hermanos, fished the beach all week and did excellent on roosters. He told me the water has cleaned up after the heavy rains of a couple of weeks ago and in the last two days he released 11 roosters, with five “long releases”. He also told me there are more roosters than jack crevalle.

Cheva, on the panga Dos Hermanos II, fished for roosters today, releasing three in the rain. They could have had more, but the clients had had a good time and wanted to go back to the hotel. The last three days, Cheva had been fishing the blue water with a total of four sailfish, two striped marlin, three dorado, and a blue marlin. A great three days anywhere…[i]Ed Kunze[/i]

Current Zihuatanejo Weather http://tiny.cc/zihuatanejo582

[b]Cabo San Lucas[/b]

The warm water has finally brought in some blue marlin. Several were released this week and a few were brought in for weighing. Most of them were in the 200-pound class, but there were a couple reported to be over 300 pounds, and one was about 500 pounds. The striped marlin bite improved as well with the fish finally starting to bite on a regular basis. There were no big numbers posted by anyone, but almost everyone was releasing one a day and having shots at a few others during their trips. A few decent sized sailfish were caught, with most of them in the 90 to 100 pound range; there were a few smaller ones around 60 pounds, still these were nice fish. A couple of blacks were reported from boats that were working near to shore for dorado.

Even though we were seeing big tuna last week, and boats were going to the Gordo Banks to target them, boats from Cabo did not have great results. With
these large fish you really needed to be on the spot at first gray light, but the boats fishing from San Jose got a few as they only had a 20 minute run instead of two hours. In our area there were plenty of fish in the 10 to 20 pound class with a few going to 30 pounds. These fish were found with the porpoise and while it did take some time to find them, once you did, at least for the first few boats, the action was good,. A good catch was eight fish with most boats catching three

or four. A few never found them or had other targets in mind.

Dorado were a little larger on average as we expected to happen with the warmer water. The fish were not concentrated in one area;, they were scattered out, one or two here and there. The key for dorado was finding a frigate bird that was staying in one area and occasionally swooping down to the water. The larger fish were in the 25 to 30 pound range while the average was 15 to 20 pounds.

Inshore fishermen found red snapper averaging seven pounds as they worked the rocks on the Pacific side of the Cape. There were also quite a few nice

roosterfish and larger jack crevalle found cruising just outside the breakers ..… [i]George and Mary Landrum[/i]

Current Cabo Weather http://tiny.cc/cabo191
bajafly
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Pacific Coast