Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

New Lodge at Christmas Island

Fly Fishing Methodologies and Philosophies

Moderator: admin

New Lodge at Christmas Island

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Had a nice visit with Sean Niesz over at Nervous Water fly shop. He and Kevin Faucheux just returned from a very successful fishing trip to that new lodge at Christmas Island. They were the first guests at the KPC Village Lodge in the little village of Tabwakea. Located on the lagoon side of the island about half way between Banana and London, it's only a 20 minute drive from the airport.
(Christmas Island is 3 hours by Air Pacific jet south of Honolulu. There is one flight a week. Tuesday to Tuesday.)

The new lodge has 4 rooms in two duplex apartments and a central dining/bar area where anglers gather each evening for pupus (fresh sashimi, poki, fried breadfruit, and other assorted goodies.) Each room has a mini ice box stocked with bottled water and private bath with plenty of hot water. I liked his stories of fresh fish dishes for dinner and eating lobster.... 3 times. LOL Breakfast to order and making your own huge sandwiches for lunch.

The "Village" was built by several Mainland anglers who have fished Christmas Island over the last 20 years and decided they wanted a place that, well, "was built by fisherman and catered to fisherman."

When you say Christmas Island most people think bonefish. That's a fact. If you want those double digit bones, just tell your guide and head for the flats with waist deep water where the 8 to 10 pound plus size fish hang out. Kevin caught one 12 pounder this trip. Everyone caught several in the 5 to 6 pound range.

I'm lazy. Take me to the sandy flats where schools of 100 bones weighing 1 to 3 pounds cruse the ankle deep water. I ask Sean, "How many bonefish can an angler catch in a day?" He thought a minute and replied, "It all depends on your skill level. If you fish in the morning, and again after lunch, stay with your guide and listen to what he says.... even a really junk angler should catch 30 fish a day."

The "Village" can only handle 8 guests a week, so everyone gets lots of personal attention. The two boats are on the beach right in front of your room. A short 10 minute boat ride and your already surrounded by sandy flats loaded with fish. If you prefer, a truck can be arranged for fishing at other locations like Y Site or Korean Wreck.

Owning a fly fishing shop, Kevin and Sean wanted to explore other Christmas Island fishing options so they could tell their clients about what all was available. "I was amazed at the skill and knowledge of our guides", said Sean. "Just tell the guide what kind of fish your after and they could put you in the right places."

At the Korean Wreck they caught 1 to 6 pound Omilu (blue travele) on fly rods. On another flat in the lagoon the 5 & 6 pound Papio (GT) gave them a work out. Outside the lagoon they used heavy spinning tackle and surface poppers to land two GT over 50 pounds. Sean even landed a sailfish that chased down his plug. They also filled the big ice chest on the boat with Ahi (yellowfin tuna) and Ono (wahoo). These 5 to 30 pound fish were suckers for a trolled Rappala lure. Spincasting with lighter tackle and assorted lures produced a mixed bag of reef and game fish. Those "Sweetlips" taste great.

After seeing Sean's pictures, and hearing about the lobster dinners, my friend and I put down our deposit for a trip in November. Well, have to run, I've got lots more flys to tye.

Aloha,
Stan
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:02 pm

Your video has nothing to do with anything and yes, it does require a download........
Stan Wright
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:03 pm

:o :o :o
Wow, I sure don't remember writhing that post about a video... :?:
Where did that come from??????

:D
On a happy note, I have returned to Christmas Island3 times and the fishing was excelent, the food was super, and the people friendly as ever.

Aloha,
Stan
Stan Wright
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Fly Fishing