Terms of Use
 Web Development

offshore ponce inlet

St. Marys River to Jupiter Inlet

Moderator: admin

offshore ponce inlet

Postby captain john » Wed May 24, 2006 1:08 am

Late Report For Ponce Inlet

This past week weather was kind to us, on Friday and Saturday seas were a little rough in the morning, but laid down by 2:00 pm. Winds were out of the S.W at 15 knots and by 2:00 pm they were also down to 5-10 knots. Sunday was perfect winds were out of the S.E at 5-10 knots and seas were 2 foot.
Friday aboard the E-Sea-Goin we had an 8 hour with 3 guys from New Jersey who wanted to try bottom fishing for Snapper and Grouper but after I told them that there were some nice dolphin moving inshore toward the reef along with some nice King Mackerel they changed there minds, so we went out to the east ridge in 95feet of water where we caught our limit of Kings and 10nice gaffers (10-20 pound dolphin) Most of our dolphin we caught were about 12-15 pounds and our biggest was 30 pounds. We also released 20 more kings and had 3 more dolphin jump off.
On Saturday we had a 10 hour canceled on us at the last so we went fishing ourselves we went out to the deep where we had 20 nice dolphins, biggest one went 35 pounds and the rest 15-20 pounds. We also raised a blue and 2 Sails but the Blue didn’t eat and the Sails one of them was window shopping swimming behind the boat for what seemed like 3 minutes was only 1 minute.
Sunday we had a 10 hour with some local guys from the Orlando area. On the way out one of the guys came up bridge and told me that we had a Birthday boy who had also just graduated from Stetson Collage, the guy told me he would like for him to catch a nice sailfish, or anything big it didn’t matter well as it turned out as soon as we put our lines out about 10 minutes later we had a sailfish come up in the spread he hit the planner then the short rigger and then back to the flat line were we were able to hook him at last. At first we thought it was a rat (small) Blue marlin, he didn’t have his sail up and didn’t jump at all. He even kept his tail tucked in when we had him boat side. We caught him in 180 feet of water we had 2 dolphins in the same depth, when we hit 220 feet we found some scattered weed and 8 dolphins and at 240 we found a weed line with a tide rip. We ended up with 27 head of dolphin with the biggest going 45 pounds that eat our planner and end up slapping the mate around after he gaffed him. The fish almost jumped out of the boat my mate grabbed him and bull-dogged him to the deck, the fish got a couple slaps in to before I got down from the bridge. But everything ended up working out great no one hurt and fish in the book.

Hope to sea ya on the water soon…
captain John
captain john
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - East Coast