Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Live bait ?

St. Marys River to Jupiter Inlet

Moderator: admin

Live bait ?

Postby bobby512 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:05 pm

I am fairly new to fishing the Treasure Coast and usually go out P.S.L. inlet. I have been trolling in 75 ft to 300 ft. of water with both pre-rigged
ballyhoo (2 hooks) and/or a strip of mullet on a large feather. I usually troll one top bait, one bait just under the surface, and one bait on a down rigger.
I have drift fished or anchored very little beacuse I really could not find the reefs as I am used to finding fishing offshore in Miami and the Keys.

I hear the fisherman talk about using live bait. What is being used ? And where and how do I catch the live bait ? Also how is the bait rigged ?

I would appreciate any info.

bobby512
bobby512

Live Bait

Postby TFO » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:33 pm

Hey Bobby512,

I too fish off Martin & St. Lucie County. Heading out the St. Lucie Inlet when you see a large pack of boats off the beach to the North or South is where the live bait is when there is some around. You use Sabiki rigs to catch Sardines and Blue Runners or whatever edible is around. I have some good footage on my website of the process and catching Kingfish and Dolphin off the charter boat Bone Shaker. Also I live in Palm City and would be willing to exchange a fishing trip and share in some of my local knowledge.
TFO

Sabiki rigs

Postby bobby512 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:45 pm

Thanks for the help.
I own several Sabiki rigs but have not tried them as yet. I am assuming do just go to where the bait is schooling and drop them in the water on light tackle ? Is there any more that I should know about using a Sabiki rig ?
bobby512

Postby TFO » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:39 pm

You usually find the bait on the fish finder or by sight, then clip a 2 ounce weight to the rig and easiest to use a spinning combo, drop over the side when the fish are under or next to you until it hits bottom and jig with steady jerks off the bottom or sometimes you have to come up in depth a bit depending if the fish are on surface or not. Also beware of the little gold hooks when unhooking the fish, very small and sharp many people spend long hours digging them from under their fingers.

Good Luck,
TFO

Postby BigTuna » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:40 am

I really don’t fish that far north often enough to give you any specific locations, but I just wanted to suggest taking out a local guide for a half day trip. In the past, I’ve done this simply to locate new bait spots. Its worth the 10x the price of a half day charter. :wink:
BigTuna
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Stella5000 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:29 am

Another little tip about sabiki's if u soak them in meheaden oil for 20 mins u will get alot more strikes from goggle eyes- blue runners... tightlinesImage
Stella5000
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Postby bambam » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:52 pm

You can usually find bait just north of the buoy as TFO mentioned. Have not tried it, but have heard others mention the sand pile, NE of the inlet where the bottom rises from 50' to 20' as a good spot.

BigTuna's suggestion may be a good one. I chartered a local capt. a couple years ago to get familiar with live baiting. I didn't learn any new bait spots b/c bait was plentiful & we fished with the fleet north of the buoy. However, I did learn a lot about fishing out of St. Lucie inlet.
bambam

Postby Ryncrash » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:10 pm

I just use a cast net but then again i dont have a boat yet so i dont know what to tell you. go to the flats before you go out and just catch some runing mulet and Pin fish
how do i tie a not.
Ryncrash
Swabbie
Swabbie

sabiki de-hooker

Postby tidothegreat » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:40 pm

Ey when you are using sabikis an easier way to take the bait off is by using a sabiki de-hooker. It keeps you from actually touching the bait, and keeps it alive longer. This is key when your going pen baits for other days..

ps. Buglght is a good marker to look for bait which is right off stilts Ville. You can find threads, pilchards,cigars, pin fish and runners.
tidothegreat
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - East Coast