Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Mosquito Lagoon Report First weekend of May

St. Marys River to Jupiter Inlet

Moderator: admin

Mosquito Lagoon Report First weekend of May

Postby Tail-Chaser-J16 » Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 pm

As the weather continues to stay on my bad side, we have been doing pretty good every time out. The water continues to stay up, (atleast enough for me to get my carolina skiff through everything out there) but if your looking for those slot sized reds, you need to find those schools that are held up in their little holes. I have noticed that a bunch of the slots are holding in the northern end of the lagoon, or the stix as some people call em. Lately with the winds blowing from the south it has been pretty murkey in there, and you either have to be right on top of them to see them, or get real lucky.

We actually found a giant school near slippery creek on sat. but the ONLY reason we found them is cause some guys were COMPLETELY lost and were blastin around in a nice new hewes in a little cove and spooked about 300 reds no further than 40 yards from us.. needless to say, we put about 20 reds in the boat that day. The key right now is finding them.

If you want bigger reds, I mean Monster reds hit Georges Bar, Tiger Shoals, Whale Tail, or anywhere out there where there is a grass flat then off onto a big drop off. Cast for live mullet, in the 5 - 7 inch range and free line them out. I would use a stout hook...... I straightened a No.2 hook on tues. when a 50" red nailed it.. then got a 40lb later on, on a no.3. Also caught a nice "31 Gator Trout out there. Right now they are out there, and the live stuff is working, and working real good. you can drift it or anchor. If you were gonna use plastic, you could use the DOA bait buster, or the mirror lures, both real good.
Wish I could fish everyday!
Tail-Chaser-J16

Return to Florida - East Coast