Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Jacksonville close offshore

St. Marys River to Jupiter Inlet

Moderator: admin

Jacksonville close offshore

Postby snevet » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:35 pm

Hello, im sort of new to offshore fishing in Jacksonville. I have a 22 foot trophy inbodard/outboard boat. I would like to try the offshore fishing in Jacksonville, I just dont want to go too far out. Less than 10 miles from the jetties. I have a fishfinder, but no GPS. Is there any way I could get good offshore fishing without a gps? Just tell me some near shore reefs and other good places.
Thanks in Advanced.
snevet

Your Going offshore Jacksonville question/answered

Postby Capt. Dave Sipler » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:20 pm

You really need navigation unless your really good at dead-reckoning, aka: time/ distance/ speed.

How will we be able to tell you where to go??

Do you want to go now in Feb or March?

Cause other than a Seabass there isn't much gonna be close in. Especially if you have no way of getting on the reef.
Bottom fishing......"that's what your wanting, correct??"
Is a game of getting on the "spot" especially those close in reefs like MR, or NM, that get over fished.

If you really need ifo: Go to Montgomery's reef it's about 10 miles out on a course of 93 degrees, 10.4 miles. Maybe you'll run over something and be able to fish there. The area has wrecks and barges, and rubble.

If you want to catch better fish just fish the jetties, that's what I do.
March should have the drum going off better after the full moon. Sheepshead, trout and more. I know it's cold water there now, but it will improve.

I catch 10 times the fish overall that you will ever catch offshore at the jetties.

My best advice to people is to take an area and master it. Know it on every tide, and like a puzzle it'll come to you after time.

Good luck,
Capt. Dave Sipler's Sport Fishing
www.captdaves.com
"SIZE DOES MATTER"
Capt. Dave Sipler

Postby snevet » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:37 pm

Thank you, I have already fished the jetties and enjoyed it. Do you have any suggestions or know any places where I can get more information on fishing the jetties. I went and caught mainly sea bass, rockfish, and one very nice sized sheepshead. I was using live shrimp on the bottom. And also since you say that the fish are not biting at the reefs, by the time they start biting again, hopefully I will have my gps set up in the boat.
Thanks again.
snevet

Postby Capt. Dave Sipler » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:17 pm

I looking to do a seminar at the west marine on beach blvd just west of the ICW, in March.......hopefully.

You can always go to: www.fish-tails.net
Come on by and see us.

it's a "local yocal" web site that "we" all (my buddies and I) hang around on. Loads of Local info.

I just did a new article there on wire leaders, and the message board talks local stuff.

Plus, read my reports also here on Cyberangler. (I just posted a new one on 2/23/04), in March "if" the weather straightens out I will be back to updating them here plus on my own site, and have new recent catches pics on my site also. But first we need some better weather!
Look for my reports here under: N. E. Florida Jacksonville-Amelia Island near coastal/offshore.

Plus if you want personal attention go to my site: www.captdaves.com
and e-mail me. In the e-mail subject heading put "fishing report" and I'll add youi to my report listings, where I send it to you when updated via a link.

I specialize in the jettys 200 days a year, from Giant Redfish over 40 pounds to Tarpon and sharks to 150#'s, Speckled Trout, and more...
Yes, there's lots of huge trout at the jetty's.
Just had last weekend 15 Speckled to 3# and Yellowmouth to 4,25#'s.
And me and my charter finished 10th out of 80 boats, in the Sheepshead tourney last weekend.

Good luck and see ya out there.......
Capt. Dave
"SIZE DOES MATTER"
Capt. Dave Sipler

Postby snevet » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:17 pm

Thanks a lot. I have been trying to join that fish tails site. It seems to have a lot of good local information. Thanks Again.
snevet

Return to Florida - East Coast