Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Midday Salmon Fishing Techniques Milwaukee #2

Fishing in and around the Great Lakes region including all tributaries and adjoining states.

Moderator: admin

Postby Jim Blue Max Charters » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:18 am

By Capt. Jim Hirt
When the sun goes up the fishing action slows down. If this is the way fishing outings go for you please read on to discover some of the proven techniques used by charter captains. Chartering with six people on board is a numbers game. Steady action will entertain the group and more happy customers will follow.
Allow me to share a few presentations for a midday or late morning. Don't get me wrong you won't rock n roll like a first light bite but steady action will increase the numbers in the fish cooler. Two setups come to mind when fishing bright light, calm waters and clear blue bird skies. Lake Michigan Milwaukee water is gin clear and the action can die in a hurry on the clear sky days. First and foremost you must get away from the boat to water undisturbed by conventional tackle. Stealth is the way to go for an all day bite here's how.
The last article was set up and use of leadcore. For the angler with out the budget or space on the boat for 15 rods as I do here is a very simple and inexpensive answer. Some of you may use this technique to some degree of success I have taken it to a new level. This method of presentation will improve your catch by fifty percent.
Downriggers are one of the oldest most used and most productive tools used for salmon and trout on the Great Lakes. Their potential for putting fish in the cooler is undisputed. As with any tool proper usage is the answer to success. A common question I receive from fellow fishermen is how long do you run your drop back leader? This is the length of line between your lure and the downrigger weight. This one item will make the difference of a few fish or steady action. The variables on the length of drop back leader are dictated by many factors. The four most important that I consider are type of lure, amount of light at the presentation, the color of the water and the mood of the fish. The main types of lures fall into three categories spoons, rotators (flashers, dodgers) and plugs. Each of these has it’s own qualities that come out when run with the proper leader length. Spoons are the most forgiving and will do their job on a leader as short as 10 feet although I seldom run them that short unless I am fishing in stained or very deep water. On average 30 feet is a good leader length depending on the other variables. Rotators are another animal. Each type has its own characteristics on average a 20 foot leader is best. The leader length on plugs like spoons aren’t as critical. Twenty feet is a good place to start. The amount of light at the lure will also change your leader length. As a general rule the more light the longer the leader. On calm clear days midday with lots of sun 150-foot leaders will catch fish when a short leader presentation is dead. Fluorocarbon fishing line will also greatly enhance the total number of fish in the boat. I recommend Seaguar Invizx twenty pound for a soft durable fishing line invisible to fish. Mood of fish is also to be considered. Short leaders produce a more erratic action and may turn fish on or off. When setting tackle try some short and some long to get a feel for the mood of the fish. When the bite slows down, change the leader length of the best producing lures to keep the rods dancing. To run this rig, snap on your favorite lure I like Reaper or Vulcan Spoons by http://www.badgertackle.com Good Luck let's go fishing! Jim charters out of Milwaukee, WI. with Blue Max Charters. He can be reached at 414-828-1094 or visit his web site at http://www.bluemaxcharters.com Copyright© 2007, James J. Hirt, All Rights Reserved.
[url=http://www.bluemaxcharters.com]Captain Jim Hirt
Image[/url]
Jim Blue Max Charters
First Mate
First Mate

Postby MrStitch » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:50 am

Those are some great tips, and some good lookin' spoons too! Maybe I missed it, but is there a particular spoon weight that you prefer?
MrStitch
Swabbie
Swabbie

Hot Spoons I Use on Lake Michigan

Postby Jim Blue Max Charters » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:22 am

Hello:
I appreciate your interest in the spoons from Badger Tackle. I hope your holiday was great. The charters and anglers around the Great Lakes and worldwide are having success with my spoons. The two most popular on Lake Michigan are the Vulcan and Reaper. Magnum and regular sizes are doing the job but I sell more magnums. For trolling between 1.5 and 2.5 mph the Reapers are best. When you are working Rainbows and aggressive fish at 2.0 to 3.5 mph the Vulcan is outstanding. For colors Badger Tackle spoons in green/silver, blue/silver or all of the glow spoons are productive. Hot spoons for 2008 were Magnum Reaper Fish n Chip, Peacock, Big Joe and Fish Fry Glow. Vulcan Magnum Silver Sky, Silver Lizard, Silver, and Monkey Puke Glow. The regular size Vulcan and Reaper spoons have been the ticket for those slow fishing days with calm water and clear skies. Run the same color patterns on the regulars as the magnums. My prices are low because I only sell them on the Internet and shipping is always the lowest possible. If you would be interested in trying Badger Tackle spoons, order them on my web site http://www.badgertackle.com
[url=http://www.bluemaxcharters.com]Captain Jim Hirt
Image[/url]
Jim Blue Max Charters
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Great Lakes Regoin