Home

Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

How do you measure a successful day of fishing?

Post and discuss general fishing news and press releases from fishing related companies and organizations.

Moderator: admin

How do you measure a successful day of fishing?

Postby GrouperMaster » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:07 am

In the past couple of weeks, several folks have called about fishing. They have asked some typical questions, then they bring up “Success Rate”. Maybe this is the new buzz word in the fishing world. I didn’t know exactly how to field that question, so I told of the most resent catches and the fun we had on the water. Though I didn’t know how well I addressed the question, folks seemed OK with the answer.
So, how does one rate success on the water? Some folks are tickled pink if their boat goes out and comes back under its’ own power. “Whew, thank God we made it; I think the boat has one, maybe two trips left in her before it’s totally unsafe”. In terms of fishing; however, many allow the state fishing regulations to determine if they were successful. They are not happy unless they have killed all the fish the state will allow in one day. I can’t imagine letting some faceless bureaucrat determine whether or not I enjoyed my day of fishing. Fish limits are imposed to maintain the overall health of the fishery and population; not a measure of success in and of itself. Fishing involves me at so many different levels that I couldn’t measure my success with a mere number. I’ve heard many say the day was successful just to be away from work and worries of life on land. Others are satisfied with encountering a variety of different fish or catching fish using a variety of technics. What about light tackle enthusiast w I can’t imagine letting some faceless bureaucrat determine whether or not I enjoyed my day of fishing. Fish limits are imposed to maintain the overall health of the fishery and population; not a measure of success in and of itself. Fishing involves me at so many different levels that I couldn’t measure my success with a mere number. I’ve heard many say the day was successful just to be away from work and worries of life on land. Others are satisfied with encountering a variety of different fish or catching fish using a variety of technics. What about light tackle enthusiast who intentionally give the fish the best chance to get away by using extremely light line, rods, and such? Or the trophy angler who works all day for a shot at one fish? For them, a single shot at a fish makes the entire day successful. Every fishermen remembers the day when by accident ‘the big one’ took their bait whether or not the fish was landed or not. That day was definitely successful. I measure my “Success Rate” by the smiles, the stories that grow by the hour, by the thank you cards, gifts sent because someone thought of me, by the out of the blue phone call reminiscing their trip and asking about fishing this week. An e-mail from angler still telling their tale or a new angler that is repeating the excitement to their friends. The ruler I use to measure fish has numbers on it; however, the ruler I use to measure success has no numbers at all. As a charter captain I am quiet aware that catching a certain quantity/quality of fish is important for business. In fourteen years of fishing the Gulf I’ve been fishless twice; but I’ve never been unsuccessful. How do you measure success? I would like to hear from you, e-mail me at [email protected].
In July, not only does the air temperature get hot but the sea temperature begins to heat up. If your sonar machine has a temp gauge, check it. It can read 88 degrees by the end of the month. The grouper ‘bite’, not necessarily the grouper themselves, will improve withho intentionally give the fish the best chance to get away by using extremely light line, rods, and such? Or the trophy angler who works all day for a shot at one fish? For them, a single shot at a fish makes the entire day successful. Every fishermen remembers the day when by accident ‘the big one’ took their bait whether or not the fish was landed or not. That day was definitely successful. I measure my “Success Rate” by the smiles, the stories that grow by the hour, by the thank you cards, gifts sent because someone thought of me, by the out of the blue phone call reminiscing their trip and asking about fishing this week. An e-mail from angler still telling their tale or a new angler that is repeating the excitement to their friends. The ruler I use to measure fish has numbers on it; however, the ruler I use to measure success has no numbers at all. As a charter captain I am quiet aware that catching a certain quantity/quality of fish is important for business. In fourteen years of fishing the Gulf I’ve been fishless twice; but I’ve never been unsuccessful. How do you measure success? I would like to hear from you, e-mail me at [email protected].
In July, not only does the air temperature get hot but the sea temperature begins to heat up. If your sonar machine has a temp gauge, check it. It can read 88 degrees by the end of the month. The grouper ‘bite’, not necessarily the grouper themselves, will improve with depth. Deeper waters are cooler at the bottom. The trend is this... the deeper you go the more keeper grouper will be caught. The majority of the time live bait will out produce frozen. However, keeping plenty of live bait alive, much less frisky, is a challenge. Lots of raw water flow occasionally augmented with a half gallon jug of frozen water in the bait tank will help the live bait situation. Remember to secure the jug of ice so it doesn’t beat the fish to death in route! Regardless, live bait will run out over the coarse of the day so do bring boxes of frozen bait, to depth. Deeper waters are cooler at the bottom. The trend is this... the deeper you go the more keeper grouper will be caught. The majority of the time live bait will out produce frozen. However, keeping plenty of live bait alive, much less frisky, is a challenge. Lots of raw water flow occasionally augmented with a half gallon jug of frozen water in the bait tank will help the live bait situation. Remember to secure the jug of ice so it doesn’t beat the fish to death in route! Regardless, live bait will run out over the coarse of the day so do bring boxes of frozen bait, too. When going deeper safety, becomes more of an issue. File a float plan, have a buddy boat, check the weather and sea conditions, fuel up (1/3 out and 1/3 in rule), do a spark plug-filter-oil...check prior to getting under way and afternoon thunder storms occur in Florida on a regular basis so be prepared. Going way out is exciting but a fish is not worth jeopardizing yourself or those on your boat.
Good grouper are inside 25 miles of the coast in July, too. Here’s a trick to bring in some quality fish. Once anchored on some hard bottom, start two to three fishermen fishing for pinkmouth grunt with squid for the first ten minutes. If they don’t catch pinks, move. If they do, keep some 10-12 inch fish and release the rest. This initializes activity. A grouper has not likely seen a pink mouth grunt, or any other bottom fish for that matter, swim from the surface to the bottom. Then everyone drops down grouper baits, live and dead. In 15-20 minutes a few grouper should be brought up. If not, move to the next spot. If grouper, large or small, are caught, put down some of the pink mouth grunt for bait. If nothing happens in 20 minutes, move and do the same thing again. It is a lot of work but the results can be good. Furthermore, it beats sitting in the hot July sun waiting for a grouper to amble by.
King fish are still in the area in July, though not as abundant. While anchored for grouper fishing, set out a float lino. When going deeper safety, becomes more of an issue. File a float plan, have a buddy boat, check the weather and sea conditions, fuel up (1/3 out and 1/3 in rule), do a spark plug-filter-oil...check prior to getting under way and afternoon thunder storms occur in Florida on a regular basis so be prepared. Going way out is exciting but a fish is not worth jeopardizing yourself or those on your boat.
Good grouper are inside 25 miles of the coast in July, too. Here’s a trick to bring in some quality fish. Once anchored on some hard bottom, start two to three fishermen fishing for pinkmouth grunt with squid for the first ten minutes. If they don’t catch pinks, move. If they do, keep some 10-12 inch fish and release the rest. This initializes activity. A grouper has not likely seen a pink mouth grunt, or any other bottom fish for that matter, swim from the surface to the bottom. Then everyone drops down grouper baits, live and dead. In 15-20 minutes a few grouper should be brought up. If not, move to the next spot. If grouper, large or small, are caught, put down some of the pink mouth grunt for bait. If nothing happens in 20 minutes, move and do the same thing again. It is a lot of work but the results can be good. Furthermore, it beats sitting in the hot July sun waiting for a grouper to amble by.
King fish are still in the area in July, though not as abundant. While anchored for grouper fishing, set out a float line or free line with dead or live bait. Hint: A live blue runner can not be beat it this situation. Trolling the flashy spoons and plugs will pick up some fine kings in July and is a good option to generate a slight breeze for comfort. I do know that a violent strike and subsequent run of a good king will etch a memory in any fishing day. In your trolling spread, make sure you cover as much of the water column as possible. In the heat of the day, the kings will most likely be running deep.
COBIA – The name makes me jump to attention. Channel markers and wrecks are known he or free line with dead or live bait. Hint: A live blue runner can not be beat it this situation. Trolling the flashy spoons and plugs will pick up some fine kings in July and is a good option to generate a slight breeze for comfort. I do know that a violent strike and subsequent run of a good king will etch a memory in any fishing day. In your trolling spread, make sure you cover as much of the water column as possible. In the heat of the day, the kings will most likely be running deep.
COBIA – The name makes me jump to attention. Channel markers and wrecks are known hangouts for the big brown ones. However, it is not unusual for them to mossy up behind the boat to check out the shiny prop or be drawn to the scent of bait being used for other fish. Be prepared. The float pole for king fish may just as well be bent by a cobia as a king. In addition, have a large spinning rod with tough leader and a 7/0 hook on stand by to pitch a live or dead offering to an inquisitive brown one. One cobia makes a day successful for me. I love them so much.
Anyway, enjoy the summer fishing and enjoy the birthday of America. Take care of yourself, the ones you love, the boat and the tackle.
Capt. B.
Tight Lines and Blue Skies!

Capt. B
GrouperMaster

Return to News & Press Releases