Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

freshwater vs. saltwater reels

Discussions pertaining to tackle and equipment including: features, proper use, maintenance, etc.

Moderator: admin

freshwater vs. saltwater reels

Postby atlguy » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:46 pm

Is there a huge difference between freshwater and saltwater reels...how much saltwater can you really get on ANY reel before they need to be torn all the way down vs just soaking them in tapwater...

I used my Pflueger President to do some surfcasting throughout our vacation...soaked the reel each day...By the end of our week, the reel was bone dry...not sure how much trouble i've created

I'm looking for a good pair of saltwater reels...an ultralight for trout and a larger all around reel...looked at a Penn Captiva but don't know enough about saltwater reels...any help appreciated
thanks, atlguy
atlguy

Re: freshwater vs. saltwater reels

Postby RudyGomez » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:28 pm

atlguy wrote:Is there a huge difference between freshwater and saltwater reels...

I think so. I live on a saltwater lake and have seen some cheap "freshwater reels" disintegrate in just a few weeks from exposure to saltwater...

I used my Pflueger President to do some surfcasting throughout our vacation...soaked the reel each day...By the end of our week, the reel was bone dry...not sure how much trouble i've created

I'm not familiar with the Pflueger President, but I'm sure a good quality fresh water reel will last indefinately with the proper care - wash after use and lubricate often.

I'm looking for a good pair of saltwater reels...an ultralight for trout and a larger all around reel...looked at a Penn Captiva but don't know enough about saltwater reels...any help appreciated
thanks, atlguy

If you want a tough as nails saltwater reel that's a great bargin, I would have to recommend the Diawa BG (Black Gold) series. I've used and abused these reels for years. IMO, they are one of the best value reels in the price range you're looking for.

If you have a bit more to spend, I've been using the Shimano Stradics for some of my lighter spinners with braided line and I LOVE them, but they're about twice the price of of the BG's.
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

I concur

Postby George » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:13 pm

I also agree with the Stradics: super smooth and will stand up.

The big difference between saltwater and fresh is the materials used.
Any good tackle store will direct you correctly, but you can also check on the internet for the manufacturer you are interested in and they will rate the reel for usage.
Professional Guide offering trips on Stick Marsh/Farm 13 - Ansin/Garcia - Kenansville
772 532-7440
George
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Tackle & Equipment