Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

10/8 Sword Report - Cherry Popped!

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

10/8 Sword Report - Cherry Popped!

Postby GhostRider » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:31 pm

I was looking at the NOAA forecast for Saturday night. The graphical forecast called for 2ft seas while the the 20NM forecast from Deerfield Beach down to Ocean Reef text called for 3-4ft Seas. I knew the NOAA guy was drinking once again. I decided to give it a shot and called Sonny to invite him Swordfishing . He was reluctant to accept since he already planned to go fishing at 3am for snappers. Finally, I was able to convince him.

I picked him up and we headed to Rickenbacker Marina. We quickly loaded the boat and headed out. We were greeted with seas that were 2ft or less! I was excited! I knew we were going to catch something ;) .

We stopped at the Yellow-Can and picked up a Rainbow Runner and a couple of Blue Runners. With enough live baits we headed out to the grounds.

As sunset fell we began to rig up our rods, crack the cylumes and rig the squids.
We began to set up at about 7:45pm and were just north of the Miss Britt.
We deployed the 400' rod with a live rainbow runner, then accidentally sent out the 200' before the 300. The 200' had a squid. 2 baits were now in the water, as we were setting out the third line the 200' began to scream. Sonny jumped on the reel and we were tight! The unmistakable run of the swordfish was thrilling!
After about 30 minutes I unclipped the jug. A couple of minutes later I unclipped the lead<from the wind-onleader. When suddenly the fish turned towards the engines :eek3: ; I had to let go and maneuver the boat to a safe position. This P'sed off Sword took some more line and did not let Sonny get gain easily.

Time went by but the fish was just holding about 150ft below the boat. The set-up the fish was on was an Avet Pro-EXW 50/2 spooled with a top shot of 80lb Momoi Diamond with 130lb Jerry-Brown hollow-core backing<done by Jahmussa from REEL PRO SHOP>. I knew we had more than enough juice to horse him in. However, this was Sonny's first sword and we did not want to risk pulling the hook. We agreed we would wait it out. We did however tighten the drag a little bit; but not too much.
1:30 minutes went by and the fish was now 25 ft below the surface, sometimes on the surface. At about 1:50 minutes into the fight the wind-on was now touching the rodtip; once again. I jump off of the controls and leadered the fish in slowly. We began to see a swordfish emerge from the deep blue. Sonny quickly puts down the rod and sinks the 1st gaff in the fish. I let go of the leader and stick another gaff in the fish. The fish however was dead! The fish fought to its death with only a slight tail paddle to show. We maneuver the fish through the tuna door and now have a nice Sword on board! We began our 30 minute photo-shoot.

Once the photo-shoot was completed, we prepared the fish for the 18 mile boat ride home.
Congratulations Sonny! Your Swordfish cherry is now popped :drink: !

The 2 man crew back at the Docks.
The fish was 71" from tail fork to lower jaw and had a 43" girth! (43*43*71)/800=164.1lbs
What a great night! :toast:
Daniel Uribe
GhostRider
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Florida - Southeast