Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Jan 5th Sword Report

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Jan 5th Sword Report

Postby Captain Joe Mcgivern » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:15 pm

Well this was the first Sword Trip of 2006.What a night it was.I picked up my clients at haulover marina and we were off by 430 to catch bait.We ran down to the Sea Bouy off of Govt.Cut.First drop we picked up a stringer of runners.They were thik.3 drops and we were loaded with Nice big runners so off we went.We set up out in 1400ft with the drift just barely pushing us offshore.I get 3 baits out and as soon as i start dropping the 4th,the 100ft squid starts screaming.We get tight and Mike is on the first fish of the night.10 minutes later we end up pulling the hook.I quickly fire the baits back out,and the tip rod on the bow goes slack.I start cranking on the reel as fast as i can,but the fish beats me to the surface,its a pup wrapped up in the wind-on leader.He comes loose and we are now 0-2.We finally get all the baits out,and the wait is on.At about 9:40 the tip rod starts to click.We let the fish eat for awhile,then he hits the surface.As cary cranks to get tight,the fish runs right down the side of the boat,jumps and hits the #1 rod in the rodholder,hits the gunwale,and then the starboard motor.What an amazing site,we were very luck that the fish didnt land in the boat,that would have been bad!as we get tight the pops on the side of the boat.We are now 0-3 and in disbelief of what we just saw.We decide to run back and reset.We get 2 baits out and as we are sending out # 3 the 100ft squid comes tight and we are on.We quickly get a nice 50" fish to the boat,where we opt to release him.It was a beautiful night out there on the sword grounds,and the new 32 fountain runs great! We still have some nights left in Jan.so give me a shout and lets get out there.The full moon is coming up in about 10 days,so lets get out there for the hot bite!
Captain Joe Mcgivern

Postby GhostRider » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:29 pm

Contact Captain Joe @ www.southFLfishing.com

He will put you on quality fish!! I have fished with him many times and have ALWAYS learned something! :!:
Daniel Uribe
GhostRider
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Florida - Southeast