Home

Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Anyone else looking forward to T.D. Chris?? Water cool-down!

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Anyone else looking forward to T.D. Chris?? Water cool-down!

Postby Chris » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:10 pm

Hey everyone... I'm new to the board, but in no way new to fishin in Florida.

My buddy recently purchased a 27' Sea Craft Center Console... right now its bare bones... no top, no instruments... just the essentials. 2 Yamaha's some tach's and a compass.

In any case. We've been taking the boat out since he got it early in the summer. Back in June we took it out every weekend for the duration of the month. The first two weeks in June we brough home a nice amount of Dolphin. We came up on a couple cows and were able to successfully bring in an entire school. (Legal schoolies of course). We took a little break due to some cash-flow shortages we were all experiencing, and now we just went out this past weekend.

I was encouraging him to take it out on Saturday where the seas were a little rougher and the cloudy skies would let the water be cooler so we can hook up with some fish. He didn't wanna go through the hassle, so we went out saturday.

We were on the water by 6am. We headed out of Coral Reef Yacht Club in coconut grove, and we headed south east just past Fowley Light. We were trolling some ballyhoo on some skirts over the drop and we headed out further east.... Looped out South East, South, back North, North West... back towards Fowley... Not a *beep* thing. We located some birds and we followed them a good while. 1 bird turned into 2... 2 into 3... 3 into four... they started circling some bait fish, and sure enough there were some schoolies right under them.

While arriving to the birds, and the boiling baitfish, we turn our heads portside... Some a-holes came out of nowhere, pinned throttles, heading right for our birds! We managed to cut them off, and beat them there, but we had frightened both the fish, and the birds... and we were tempted to pull out the flare gun to show our discontent with the other boat full of amateur's who chase boats instead of birds.

We managed to hook up with one of the schoolies while trolling away from the area, and we kept it in the water, but he was riding solo... It was also way too small to keep, and he let himself go. We then went closer to the drop and continued to troll.

I was tired from lack of sleep, and laid down near the bow. As soon as my eyes closed, my Senator starting screaming. I ran up to it quickly, and tightened the drag slightly. I let it run a little bit before trying to set the hook. When it stopped running, I set the hook, and began to real. It tried to run one more time, and then :snap: lost it at the leader.

I was using a Tuna Tango with a ballyhoo... and I presume it was either a blackfin or a kingfish. Either case, it was a lost fish. Dejected and sunburned... we picked up the lines and went to the sandbar hoping to at least see some babes... it was family day apparently though, so we said screw it and rode back to fuel up.

We checked the weather when we got back and realized how insanely hot the water was, and that explained why we weren't catching anything.

As soon as I noticed that there was a tropical depression in my name, I thought of it as a signed and called my friend who's name also happens to be Chris. I told him we need to go out this weekend right before the storm. The storm won't even turn into a hurricane thankfully, but it should mix up the seas and the other front should be bringing in some cooler air and water temperatures... Fingers crossed. Hopefully we can land some Dolphin.

We're looking to go out Saturday morning same time. We're still even considering of bringing the boat down to marathon or largo on friday night, and taking it out down there saturday morning... Still undecided. (Your input would be much appreciated).

If we don't head down to the keys, we will more than likely do our tour of Fowley and the surrounding area again, and hopefully we can land some fish onboard.

Well... I've rambled long enough. If any of you feel like giving me any advice, fishing spots, or suggestions... feel free to send me a private message or you can email me.

Thanks

Chris
Chris

Return to Florida - Southeast