Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

How can I get those sails?

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

How can I get those sails?

Postby nvus2113 » Fri May 02, 2003 1:31 pm

How do I go about catching a sailfish? I was reading up on the area reports of Florida. I've really never gone out for sailfish, but after reading that everyone is catching 3-5 daily, I want a piece of the action. I just want to know what bait to use and where to go get these monsters.

Thanks
nvus2113

Re: How can I get those sails?

Postby RudyGomez » Sat May 03, 2003 2:22 pm

nvus2113 wrote:How do I go about catching a sailfish?

First, welcome to our Forum. Glad you have you onboard :D

Since your question is so broad, let me give you the condensed version. If you need more detail on any aspect of "sailfishing", just post a follow-up question to this topic. Here goes:

Sailfish can be found in Florida waters year-round with the Winter and Spring being the best times.

There are many different ways to catch sailfish, but most people would agree that live baiting is best – and more specifically – kite fishing. Here is a page from Capt. Dave Parson’s web site which briefly explains kite fishing:
http://fishingmiamibahamas.com/fishing/kite.htm

If you have never fished for sailfish before, it probably would be unfeasible to expect you to go out and kite fish on your first attempt. Actually, if you wanted to learn how to kite fish, it probably would be a good investment in your fishing future to hire a guide for day – they would be happy to show you all the ropes…

Anyway, back to catching you a sailfish. Again, your best chances are going to be with live bait. The following baits can be easily caught locally: ballyhoo, pilchards, blue runners, pinfish, and goggle eyes.

Take your baits out to the drop-off. You want to fish the drop-off area from approx. 75-250 feet – with the possible sweet spot somewhere around 100-150 feet.

You will be "drift fishing" with your baits. When you first get out there, stop and see which way you’re going to drift with your engines off. If you notice you’re going to drift in - towards shallower waters - then begin your drift in 250 feet. Deploy your baits and drift in until you get to 75 or 50 feet and then do it again.

Deploy your baits at different lengths and depths. Have 1 or 2 with a balloon or cork to keep those baits near the surface. Have others with nothing. Still others free line with the bail open. Whatever you wish. Have as many baits out as you can effectively manage. The goal is to cover as much of the territory – horizontally and vertically – as possible.

That’s basically it. I know I have left out reams of information, but this should be good enough to get you started. If something above needs further clarification or more detail, let me know. Please let us know how it goes…
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Postby nvus2113 » Mon May 05, 2003 8:49 am

Rudy, thanks a lot. I'm going to check out that link you sent me. I appreciate your feedback. This website is awesome!!
I will definitely spread the word.

Juan Hernandez
nvus2113

Postby RudyGomez » Sat May 10, 2003 10:45 am

Juan,

Make sure you let us know how you did :!:
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez

Postby HeaVEEweight » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:55 pm

You can also check out some free seminars. We are hosting 4 seminars during the next 2 weeks conducted by top sailfish captains such as John Dudas, Mark Houghtaling, Dean Panos, and Bouncer Smith.

Check out http://www.MayorsCupTournament.com for more details. Click on the "FREE Seminars" link.

Good luck!

Tony
HeaVEEweight

Return to Florida - Southeast