Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Walkers Cay in June

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Walkers Cay in June

Postby bull fighter » Mon May 26, 2003 9:39 pm

This is my first time using the forum. Ijust registered today. I'll be going to Walkers Cay in early june. I just purchased a 31 contender and would love to break it in with a couple of nice yellow fin tuna. Any sugestions on where to fish and best methods (trolling, chunking)?
bull fighter

Yellowfins

Postby Double D Charters » Tue May 27, 2003 8:34 pm

I haven't fished yellowfins in Walkers, but have in other parts of the Bahamas. Trolling plugs and lures near diving birds is amost always good. You will know when the tuna birds are on yellowfins and not dolphin by the explosions left in the water when the tunas are hitting the bait. Don't troll through them, but troll on the outsides. Even better would be if you had live baits you can toss at the tunas. In Hole in the Wall, GreataHarbour and Harbour Island, a lot of tuna are caught on live pilchards. Personally, I hate trolling, and much perfer to toss a live bait at a big fish. Either way Good Luck.
Double D Charters
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby RudyGomez » Wed May 28, 2003 9:01 am

bull fighter,

Welcome to CyberAngler's forum.

How about bluefins? :wink:

Check this out:

1,058-pound bluefin tuna caught recently out of Walker's Cay is a possible record for Bahamian waters.
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/s ... 53545A.htm
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

yellowfin

Postby cowfighter » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:03 am

Dear bullsheeter,

I am an avid fisherman who has much experience in walker's.
In the past I have found that the best techniques for yellowfin in the cay is slow trolling bread balls in about 60 feet of water. Be careful not to set the hook to quickly, you must be patient and let them eat the whole dough ball. Also I recommend using a hearty whole wheat loaf because it doesn't wash out as quickly as white bread. P.S. I understand that you have been to the bahamas before and were schooled by the fireman on the boat, I would recommend just going on the boat to observe his techniques in the future and maybe before you die you can become .5% of the fisherman he is. Please feel free to ask for more advice in the future and welcome to the forum
cowfighter

WALKERS YELLOWFINS

Postby maverick16 » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:06 pm

I JUST signed up to this forum too.i don,t know anything about walkers but Early morning &late afternoon are always best for tuna.it'd be nice if the big yf come to key west in force this winter.
maverick16
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - Southeast