Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Big Cubera caught off Ft. Lauderdale

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Big Cubera caught off Ft. Lauderdale

Postby captandy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 am

I had a pretty cool trip yesterday on the Big Game. We were shooting a video for a 2-3 minute movie of fishing, mostly for an advertisement. We went out and put the kites up on the reef with a couple of tinker mackrel as live bait. We were fishing for almost 2 hours and nothing. The day was looking bleak and we were about to call it a day. Then we get a smoker kingfish skyrocket on our long kite bait. As we are fighting him, we get another mystery bite(it turned out to be another kingfish) and the left short pops out of the clip and comes tight. 2 big kings, one about 12 lbs. and the bigger one about 28 lbs. So I decided to put the kites back out. I set up in the same spot as I got the last 2 bites, and not a minute goes by and we've got a sailfish eating our left long. We come tight on him, he comes up jumping, we fight him and got it all on video. So we bring him in for photos and release him.

After that I say, hey, lets go hit a shipwreck. We had drifted with the current pretty good ways to the north and I was near a wreck I haven't fished in a while. We put a live bonito down and insta-bite big amberjack. Photos and video of him, and we try again. This time, we get hung on the bottom. We pop off the lead that was hung and left the bait down for another minute. As we are winding it up, we come tight on something big. We fight it up to the boat, and it was none other than a 35lb. cuber snapper. I haven't caught a cubera in years out here. I've only caught about 6 of them my whole life, its a rare fish. It was awesome that we had the video guy there when we caught such a cool couple of fish.

Anyway, it was an exciting day on the water and the weather was beautiful. I forsee a good season coming on us here in the next month or so. The sailfish are biting, sharks are showing up, big kings around, some cool bottom fish, and this has been one of the best years on dolphin in a long time. And thats not to mention swordfish that are biting anything you throw in the water. yup, fishing looks good guys. I hope to see ya out there with me. 'Till next week...
Visit my website for the best fishing boats in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

Fort Lauderdale Fishing Charters
captandy
Captain
Captain

Return to Florida - Southeast