Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

The secret to catching goggle eyes

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

The secret to catching goggle eyes

Postby cowfighter » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:33 pm

I realize that catching goggle eyes, rightly so, is a well guarded secret know mostly to the professional bait fisherman. That being said is there anyone who would be able to tell me why they only bite at certain times of the night and when the best bite times are? I understand they don't bite on a bright moon. Does it have anything to do with the tides? I already know where to go to catch them and I have been able to do so with much success. The only problem is that I am missing that one piece of the puzzle of determining when and why they will feed. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. If it is possible to narrow it down to certain time span to fish for them then it would allow me to waste a lot less of my time and get more sleep. Also has anyone ever tried to use a hydroglow light to help attract them and if so was it successful? Thanks in advance for you help
cowfighter

Postby Maverick » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:20 pm

Cowfighter..I would be interested in hearing about some of your techniques. Would like to find some "fairly" dependable ways and places to catch them...Thanks
Maverick
Helping to build our fishing community
Helping to build our fishing community

Postby cowfighter » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:58 am

go out past the reef to about 350 - 400 ft. after dark drift into about 150ft. jigging no. 15 sabiki's at about 100 ft. if unsuccessful on first drift go back out and make another drift. I have not found the reason why they bite or when so sometimes it is just a waiting game. Also look for them on the depth finder and target that depth if you find them.
cowfighter

Postby Martins Loonacy » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:34 pm

Ill tell you what, when I want gogs ill go to about 400 feet. Ill start chumming all weed lines heavily. Ill wait to get to 150 feet before i start all over again. For me i get them in the day time. If you find weeds, your saved
Martins Loonacy

Postby Stella5000 » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:54 am

iI like to soak the sabiki's in menhaden oil for 20 mins or so ... works for meImage
Stella5000
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

goggle eyes

Postby jklein7401 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:38 am

I find the early morning best around 0400. That way I can go right to the reef at sunrise. Try the D119E sabiki rig. It is very long but works very well. Make sure you use a heavy lead (1lb works well) on the rig. If you know what inlet the bait is in, try drifting from 120' to about 25' before exploring the deeper water. Good luck!
jklein7401

Re: The secret to catching goggle eyes

Postby GhostRider » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:55 pm

Round-eye scad hold on weeds in deep water? I ve seen them holding on a 60ft reef during the DAY time during a certain time of year.
Daniel Uribe
GhostRider
First Mate
First Mate

Postby JimJenson » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:14 am

For me, what works quite well is to drop anchor off the Hillsbouro inlet bouy about 1 hr before daybreak. I chum with a few cans of Kozy Kitten catfood, with several can opener holes punched in them. I rig with light spinning tackle and jig about 3 ft off the bottom with Mr Fishie rigs and a bottom weight. Best goggle bite comes just before daybreak, and lasts only about an hour. After daybreak comes the runners and other baits.
JimJenson
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby shameless II » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:12 pm

I don't regularly target goggle eyes, but I have run into a bunch of them a couple of hours after sunset in 40-60 feet on the reef off Key Biscayne. All that I could catch or wanted.
shameless II

Postby GhostRider » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:56 am

I caught a half dozen gogs at night out @ Keybiscayne in 60ft of water over a Reef. Could have caught more too.
Daniel Uribe
GhostRider
First Mate
First Mate

Postby rangerxec » Tue May 02, 2006 5:03 pm

when you use the sabiki put a "bug" on the end or even just rig up a pole with a bug on it (a bug is a weighted hook that has an eye on the weight and is usually painted yellow or white or whatever other color you might want) ...they are killer for goggle eyes
rangerxec
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - Southeast