Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Permit from a Florida Keys bridge 4-6-14

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Permit from a Florida Keys bridge 4-6-14

Postby cudaman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:34 pm

t's been quite a while since I have posred here. So here is a vlip of my non profit blog from my recent land based trip.

"It was the almost 6 a.m. and the tide started to change. Then all of a sudden I hear click click and my wife screams the reel is clicking. I ran to it and it was just seaweed so I tighten the free spool a bit to avoid that from happening again. I cast  again and walked back to the snapper rod. As I cast the rod I hear click click again on the same rod I had just cast, knowing it might be seaweed again I still ran to it. I pick it up engaged the lever, undid the clicker and started to reel it in when zzzzznnnn the line starts going in circles, I immediately tell my wife to please get the landing net and as she does the fish starts to run against the current and heads under the arch of the bridge. I walked left and extend the 9 foot rod out as much as I could and started to reel as slow as possible hoping for the fish to go the other way towards open water and he does, but then again the reel starts buzzing with the fish dashing through the water, another run and this time parallel to the bridge as I run with it reeling line in and keeping tension trying to guide the fish to open water again the fish went under the bridge and doing so while rubbing the cement arches a painful hold and pray the line does not fray. I pointed the rod’s tip towards the water and I asked my wife to hold the rod a second while I went under one of the bridge’s cement rails and this time I had my rod tip pass the concrete arch and was able to slowly reel in the fish as the line rubbed against the opposite end of the bridge. Patiently I reeled inch by inch and I finally had it next to the bridge and with it’s head out of the water so I asked my wife to lower the landing net. It took a few tries as these fish are a bit wider than most, but she finally did it."

The fish was landed and I decided to keep it since I did not think it would make it.

By the way for those in boats the decent size Tarpons are all over the bridges in the Keys, so it fun time. And for those that want a few snappers the mangroves are in full force as well but on the smaller size. I released all the ones I caught since most didn't even reach 12".

http://www.cudamanadventures.com

cudaman

Return to Florida - Southeast