Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Team CyberAngler's Inaugural Fishing Trip

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Team CyberAngler's Inaugural Fishing Trip

Postby RudyGomez » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:31 pm

Sunday was Team CyberAngler's first fishing trip aboard our new 31' SeaVee. In case you haven't seen it, here's a thread that I started back in June which chronicles the boat's construction:

http://cyberangler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499

All of us had been anticipating this day for a long time and we were anxious to get an early start. We were at the marina before sunrise. By first light, we were netting mullet up against Beer Can Island just inside of Haulover Cut. We tried several spots near Haulover, but bait was hard to come by. Saw some birds working tide lines south of the cut and were able to pickup a few runners and threads, but not much. We traveled south the bent range marker - nothing. Still further south to the Key Biscayne bait patch and found a few cigars, but they were few and very shy. We then popped out to the can buoy where we finally found some cooperative cigar minnows and a few ballyhoo.

We then pointed the bow east ran in search of dolphin. It didn't take long before we found a wooden pallet in 1000' loaded with bait. The tower on our SeaVee made all the difference in spotting the flotsam. There were no dolphin that we could see, but we worked the area for a few minutes and wham! A couple of peanuts showed up. They didn't hit our trolled baits, but since we spotted them from the tower, we were able to toss them a jig. I was happy to see that my son Rudy caught the first dolphin - the first official gamefish caught aboard our new boat. It was also his first dolphin ever! He was really excited, and I for him. We continued to work the same area for the next few hours. Several times, just as we were contemplating a move, a few more dolphin would show-up and we were back in business. We caught approx. 20 dolphin and kept about a dozen up to 12 lbs. My son also hooked, and missed, a cow estimated at 30lb. We never saw that fish again.

Around noon, it was sweltering and we were all ready for a boat ride. The radio indicated some reef action near the sea buoy and we headed in to try our luck along the edge. For the next few hours we made a couple of drifts north of the sea buoy starting in 150'. The fishing was rather slow but we managed to pickup a kingfish, mutton snapper, black grouper and a sailfish. Below are some pictures of the day. We didn't catch many fish or any trophies, but we did catch a wide variety of fish which made our inaugural trip a great success. Maybe it's true what they say, SeaVee boats catch more fish...

Here's shot from the behind the console of Capt. Dave on the bow getting ready to castnet some mullet.

My son Rudy with his first dolphin.

Capt. Dave battling a dolphin.

For those of you how requested a picture with blood on my boat, here my son after putting another one on in the box.

Here's Sonny (formerly known as NightSnooker) and Kelly (Maverick) both hooked up while Capt. Dave directs from the upper station.

Maverick with a small mutton snapper

Capt. Dave with a nice black grouper on pure spin!

Sonny is hooked up with a sail and his reel is falling apart. Maverick is trying to screw the reel back together.

Here's my son Rudy, Sonny and Myself with Team CyberAngler's first sail.
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Postby Magic Hook » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:32 pm

Rudy,

What a great day! A sailfish, thats awesome! We just got back home from a great Keys trip and chatted all the way home about how "fishy" our new SeaVee is.
Capt. Rick
Magic Hook
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - Southeast