Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Baccarac is Back

Includes: The Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela and any other exotic fishing locations in the Islands, Central and South America.

Baccarac is Back

Postby MexicanDan » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:50 pm

Baccarac Oct 30 Nov 1 by Paul D. Scott

Three of us pulled a boat down from Phoenix (14 hours), fished three days and stayed at the new Lake Baccarac Lodge managed by René Salazar (formerly Lake Huites). I hired Sixto for Day 2 and René was able to join us for a half day.

The lake is 12-15 feet from being full, the water is dirty with only about two feet of visibility and the weather changed considerably each day. The fish were suspended, resulting in no action on top water, jerk or plastic baits.

Results for the three gringos were:

Day 1 about 30 fish to 10.2 lbs vast majority between 5 and 7 pounds and most caught on 5/8 oz rattle traps (silver/blue back) or TD vibrations (baby bass).

Day 2 at least 90 fish to 13.4 lbs our top ten totaled 107 lbs and most were caught on 1.5 oz rattle traps the evening bite came from clear water at the junction of two arroyos entering the main lake and produced about 50 fish with a combined weight of about 225 lbs.

Day 3 about 30 fish to 9.9 lbs with 18 fish over 5 lbs most were taken off shallow grassy points and around very small grassy islands we did not find any clear water and hindsight being 20/20, we should have hired a guide for the day.

Comments:

1. We fished Baccarac numerous times before the main lake die off that was caused by a biologist attempting to fertilize the lake several years ago. Based on two trips in the last ten months, we can say that fishing is now the same or better than it was 12 to 15 years ago.
2. Each of us has caught our personal best big fish at Baccarac and two of us caught them this trip. I ve fished Mexican lakes for more than 25 years, but never caught a 10 pound bass, but on this trip and in a single day, I caught four bass over 10 pounds!
3. Last December, 27 full man days of fishing at Baccarac yielded between 900 and 1000 bass, with 90% being 1 pound or less and the big fish was only 7.5 lbs. I can t fathom that all these fish are now 5 pounds or better, but the absence of 3 to 4 pound fish has me scratching my head?
4. These fish are beyond fat, they re hogs in the truest sense of the word and they are continuing to gorge themselves on a supply of forge fish that you have to see to believe. One 9 pound fish tried to swallow a hooked 2 lb fish at the boat and was caught by dropping the lure back into the water! I caught two fish over 5 lbs on the same lure!
5. The three lodges planned for this lake (only Lake Baccarac Lodge is now open) are paying the local co-op big money to manage the netters who pull their nets during the day and put them out again after dark. The co-op has established a $30 daily assessment per person for each lodge guest or to be collected by local camp hosts for each person camping. For more information on fishing Lake Baccarac contact Daniel Wentworth at [email protected]
Daniel Wentworth
Manager
X-Treme Angling Central America
[email protected]
1-866-776-5568
MexicanDan

Return to International - Tropical - NEW!