Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Florida Keys Tarpon 2/10/11

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

Florida Keys Tarpon 2/10/11

Postby syxx » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Had Keith fishing from across the pond in Australia. He was suppose to go swordfishing but his buddy canceled out on him, and he always wanted to catch a big tarpon. I told him there had been a few around so we gave it a shot! We caught a bunch of ladyfish and a few mackerel and blue runners in the morning, and then off we went. We caught a few sharks, big 60+ lb blacktips, nurse, and lemons, for the first hour and a half. Then we had one of the conventionals in free spool and heard the clicker slowly start going out and watched the line go straight back. Keith picked up the rod and figured it was another shark, so I told him to lock it up and hang on. For a minute or so it just steadily pulled drag and shook his head a few times - a shark right? Nope! Big 150+ lb tarpon comes crashing out of the water. We fought him for over an hour. Capt. Jim Willcox came from nearby and took some pictures. Keith was thrilled! After that the tide died out, so we ran to another area close by, ate lunch, and resumed fishing. Caught a bunch of small blacktip sharks, and then another 'sea monster' on the bottom. Finger tipped the braided line up, touched the leader, and then the braid broke. Anyways, very exciting florida fishing charters, great to see this time of year! We've been seeings quite a few tarpon and caught a few this week, some days several bites, the last few have been 1 or 2 only. Though it's still February and early, as the weather stabilizes more, I'm sure it will be a fantastic season, as last year was one of the best I can remember once it got going, we definitely did NOT have fishing like this last year at this time!

Capt. Rick Stanczyk
305-747-6903
[email protected]
http://www.budnmarys.com

syxx
First Mate
First Mate

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay