Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Flamingo

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

Flamingo

Postby flyfisher » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:58 pm

I'm a little "geographically challenged", but would this be the appropriate section of the forum to get a little info on the Flamingo area?
flyfisher
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby topangler » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:34 pm

Yes, This is the right place.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

General Quesions about Flamingo

Postby flyfisher » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:54 am

I've always wanted to fish for the "baby tarpon" down there. When would be the ideal time of year to go? I read articles about "out front". I'll be bringing my own boat. Is it reasonable to think I could find fish on my own out front? I've bought a map and am not sure a rookie like me needs to try to navigate the back country on my own, but would I have a shot "out front" and how difficult is it to navigate on your own? How about patterns? Is a 9 wt adequate? Would I need to put a poling platform on my boat or could I get by with a trolling motor for out front? What about accomodations? Is the lodge down there a good choice?

In general, anything you could share with a first-timer would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
flyfisher
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Maverick » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:51 pm

*beep* you don't ask for much do you???? First get a florida sportsman or top spot chart of the area. That's a good starting point for fishing Flamingo. To answer some of your questions you can find small tarpon right out of the marina. Out Front is referred to as the Florida Bay side of the ramps. Snake bight channel is a good place for tarpon very early in the morning. Good luck on getting them to bite! Sure thing baby tarpon???Fish the marina area at night, just watch for gators! Don't need a tower but better have a pole. You can find trout all over the channels. A good and fun fishery is for sharks. Catch and filet a couple ladyfish and hang them over the side of your boat and then drift the channels and watch them come straight to your boat. I first started fishing Flamingo in an aluminum skiff custom built by Mr. Cyberangler himself. We had some great trips in that boat...right Bro!
Maverick
Helping to build our fishing community
Helping to build our fishing community

Postby RudyGomez » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:47 pm

Of all the times I’ve fished out of Flamingo, I’ve never specifically targeted Baby Tarpon. While I’m sure there are plenty of folks that do, I never found them with enough consistency to plan on it. But I have seen them just about everywhere at one time or another.

Maverick brings back some old memories of a period in the 1980’s when we fished Flamingo several times a week long ago… and he gives some good advice.

Get a chart. You can find baby tarpon in many of the channels and tributaries of the Snake Bight area in the early, EARLY, morning. There are also channels adjacent to Frank and Palm that can hold baby tarpon.

Now here is my bonus tip of the week, March is great month for Giant Tarpon in Whitewater bay. :wink:

But if you want more specific info, you'll have to ask Mav - he fishes circles around me. :roll:
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Postby flyfisher » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:49 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback. I figured, what the hey, questions are free! As I said it's been a place I've wanted to get to for a long time. If you could pick one month, particularly for baby tarpon, when would it be?
flyfisher
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby RudyGomez » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:47 am

I really have no clue as to when would be the best month for baby tarpon.

If you've never been to Flamingo, just go...

Be rigged for any opportunity that may present itself and enjoy yourself.

:idea: Another option would be to hire a guide. I can’t overemphasize how beneficial this is – AND cost effective – when getting to know a new area. They will show spots, techniques, navigation, etc. Its well worth it and will pay dividends on your future trips to Flamingo. Invest in your fishing future...
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez

Postby flyfisher » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:13 am

Thanks very much for your insight.

Have a good one
flyfisher
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby flyfisher » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:33 pm

I wanted to ask a question about patterns in Flamingo.

If your response is "****" I ask too many questions, which was the preface to my first question, then never mind.

If the answer is, "Just go to Flamingo and find out"... again, never mind.

If the anwer is, " Hire a guide"...never mind. If I had the money to hire a guide, I wouldn't have posted here in the first place!
flyfisher
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby RudyGomez » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:26 am

flyfisher wrote:I wanted to ask a question about patterns in Flamingo.

What's your question?

flyfisher wrote:If your response is "****" I ask too many questions, which was the preface to my first question, then never mind.

If the answer is, "Just go to Flamingo and find out"... again, never mind.

If the anwer is, " Hire a guide"...never mind. If I had the money to hire a guide, I wouldn't have posted here in the first place!.

Hey flyfisher, I take exception to your remarks. I have answered your questions in a thoughtful and meaningful way - even giving you specific locations where to find baby tarpon.

Furthermore, Maverick’s remarks were an obvious attempt at HUMOR.

I apologize for you having taken our good faith effort to provide assistance as insufficient to meet your requirements.
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay