Sarasota Fla. Fishing Report 12/07/03

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

Sarasota Fla. Fishing Report 12/07/03

Postby Capt. Bob Smith » Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:42 am

December 6, 2003

Sarasota Florida Fishing Report

By Capt. Bob Smith

Although the weekend has brought us some bad boating weather, the fishing has been good to excellent! The bay grass-flats have had plenty of action with trout, Spanish mackerel, ladyfish and some bluefish. There has been limited action with redfish and small snook around the docks and back water.

We found plenty of Spanish mackerel, bluefish and an occasional cobia or small sharks along the beach. Live whitebait or artificial baits trolled or casting worked best. Chumming with live bait will keep the fish around the boat. There have also been plenty of baitfish schools running along the coast and offshore.

Mangrove snapper are hot at the Cudahole! The snapper have been averaging two to four pounds and are best fished with live shrimp on light tackle. I use eight to twelve pound test line with thirty to forty pound test mono leader and a split-shot, about a quarter ounce shot. This will make a big difference in the number of snapper you catch. If the current is strong, you may need to add more shot. You can’t let the fish run here due to the structure. If you begin to get broken off often, it may be grouper, so try a bigger rod. I like to fish the natural structure rather than the artificial reefs. I find less large predators to grab your fish on the way up. Jewfish and barracudas love to hang out on larger structures at the “M” reefs.

Enjoy & Protect

My Web Site: www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com
Capt. Bob Smith
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - Southwest