Terms of Use
 Web Development

Pine Island Info needed.

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

Pine Island Info needed.

Postby CarolinaSkiffOwner » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Hello folks newbie to the board.
We're heading to pine island and will be renting a boat and doing some boating around the island ,heading to cayo costa, sanibel and would also like to get some fishing in.

What species will be in full swing this time of year in the area so we know where to focus our attenion?
I've fished with a great guide many times from punta gorda usually in Feb, but this time we are coming earlier and want to give it a go on our own.
Hopefully the snook,reds,trout,and jacks will be in.
Is there a shot at cobnia or tarpon. I've caught everything listed above but the tarpon, and would love to add that to my list.

We have not booked our room yet and was wondering how far of a run from Matlacha it is to the grounds?
Any good boa rental places to check out? will be 4 adults. 2 men, 2 women. Not renting a car and all travel to dinner etc will be by boat. I'm thinking 21' center console?

Sorry for all the questions, but searching the internet has got me fired up. Striper season will be in full swing up here but they will still be here we we return.
CarolinaSkiffOwner

Re: Pine Island Info needed.

Postby CarolinaSkiffOwner » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Someone told me this was "THE" place to get aswers to questions on Fla fishing ?
CarolinaSkiffOwner

Postby fishbuster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum :) . Pine Island is a great area, if your fishing on the inside, check out the oyster bars for redfish, use live bait (freeline whitebait or pinfish under a poppin cork). Trout fishing on the flats is also good this time of the year. Check out the mangrove islands,they are a good place for snook and reds. Matlacha Pass bridge is awesome for big snook (still out of season catch and release only). All the gulf passes a stacked with fish, outgoing tide is best (only my opinion) just easier to fish. The places to fish in that area is mind boggling :bang: .There may still be some tarpon action early in Boca Grande Pass, check out the canals and lagoons for rollers in the AM. Tweenwaters is a good stop for food, as is waterfront restaurant in St James city, check a local map for any new ones :scratch: . Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the water.
Captain Dave Hanson
Fishbuster Charters, Inc.
Bonita Beach, FL
(239) 947-1688
[email protected]
www.fishbustercharters.com
fishbuster
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby bunch » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Great advice by Capt Hanson and all. If I were you, I would go to www.operationopenarms.org and SELECT "Fishing/Charters"
Look down the list and offer one of the Guides on this page the opportunity to go on YOUR BOAT for 3-4 hours. It will be the
best 300.00 you have ever spent (to say nothing of Pine Island Sound many banks, rocks, oyster bars which can blast your LOWER UNIT
into next week. If you fail to embrace this advice, start your exploring on dead low tide and fish the INCOMING. Wherever you find yourself
at the first of the ebb, leave! Pine Island Sound is very shallow. Good luck
bunch
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby CarolinaSkiffOwner » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:35 pm

bunch wrote: If you fail to embrace this advice, start your exploring on dead low tide and fish the INCOMING. Wherever you find yourself
at the first of the ebb, leave! Pine Island Sound is very shallow. Good luck

Good advice.
What is the tide swing in this area?
Here it's 6'. If trimmed up are most fishing spots accessible by poling or trolling motor? I would expect this boat to draft 20" ... ?
CarolinaSkiffOwner

Postby bunch » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:58 am

On a full or new moon we max out at 2.7 maybe 2.8

We have painful and pathetic all day incoming or outgoing 1 tide days 10 days after the new or full. One must go wherever moving water can be found on these slow days.
bunch
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - Southwest