Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Naples Fishing for Tarpon

East Cape to Englewood

Moderator: admin

Naples Fishing for Tarpon

Postby Front Runner Charters » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 pm

At Front Runner Charters, we search the waters of SW Florida, The Everglades National Park and Key West, to encounter the most fascinating and rewarding fish. However, depending on the weather or time of year, it's important to understand the types of fish you are likely to see.
Fishing Naples and Estero Bay nearly every trip the past couple of weeks. The Big Trout have been on the decline but Snook fishing and Tarpon fishing have taken center stage with the warming weather patterns of South Florida in the spring. Naples and Marco Island water temps are getting well into the 70's and air temps in the mid 80's. "Heaven on Earth"
Snook are getting more aggressive and starting to bunch up more.We've been hooking up what seems to be every cast at some of my favorite holes and passes with live pilchards and variety of arties. Fish the snook on a tide with good current, I prefer an outgoing tide but the first half of the incoming has been a productive period early in the morning. When fishing the mangroves, fish the top end of the high tide and get your fly, bait or jig underneath the mangroves as far as you can. A well placed white bait, jig or fly will result in a terrific fight that your sure to remember.
Tarpon fishing has been real good this early in the migration and will get nothing but better as Summer approaches. Everybody wants to fight a Tarpon, so I've been targeting them "first thing" on quite a few mornings lately. Boated a few, Jumped many. We hooked them all on mullet on the outgoing tide, most of the fish were in the 80-120 lb.range. I was on some nice tarpon in the back bays in the 20 and 30 lb. range, but the winds last week made them tough to fish for. Tarpon fishing should really go off with the warm weather, so dont wait to book your trips.
Red-fish are present and willing when your finished pulling Snook from their dash to the mangroves and Tarpon out of the air. Try working the edges of the sand bars and oyster reefs. I like fishing the sand and oyster bars in the back, moving in with a good incoming tide. Get a good incoming with first light and watch for the tailers. I have been having good luck with not only shrimp but on the D.O.A Cal jigs I talk about often.
Fun-fish Jacks, mackeral, cobia, grouper, sharks and more! These fish and others are common on the flats and backcountry. When encountered thay all are a lot of fun with spin tackle or on the fly.

For the next few months the word is "Tarpon". I'll be targeting the Silver King during thier northern migration, fishing the waters of Naples, Marco Island, The Florida Keys and Key West. It's shaping up to be a banner year so don't hesitate, get your fishing dates reserved. "Tight Lines" http://www.FrontRunnerCharters.com
Front Runner Charters
Swabbie
Swabbie

Re: Naples Fishing for Tarpon

Postby RudyGomez » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:22 am

Very nice tarpon photo :thumbsup:
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Return to Florida - Southwest