Terms of Use
 Web Development

Sarasota, FL Fishing Report for 4/20 through 4/27/2003

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Postby Capt. Rick Grassett » Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:30 am

Anglers on the Snook Fin-Addict caught a variety of fish during the past week. Spin anglers caught snook, trout, redfish and Spanish mackerel. Fly anglers caught snook, trout, Spanish mackerel, ladyfish and jack crevalle. A front pushed through our area on Saturday morning and was preceded by strong winds making fishing challenging.

Bill and Mary Misischia, from Schererville, IN, fished Sarasota Bay with me on Monday morning. They had good action with trout to 17” and a couple of Spanish mackerel at the Middleground flat, Stephen’s Point and near Buttonwood Harbor caught on Cotee jigs with grubs and DOA shrimp

Dick Smith, from Sarasota, FL, and Arnold Braswell, from McLean, VA, fished Sarasota Bay with me on Tuesday. The goal was redfish, so we fished shallow flats and sand bars all morning on a rising tide. The caught a pair of reds to 26” and several trout near Buttonwood Harbor on CAL jigs with shad tails.

Phil and Brenda Rever, from Sarasota, FL, fished the same waters with me on Wednesday morning. Since they planned to fish the Sarasota CCA Photo All-Release Challenge on Saturday, we were scouting areas for them to fish. We fished Long Bar and the Buttonwood Harbor area where they caught several trout and ladyfish, a snook and a large jack crevalle. The jack was caught and released on an Enrico Puglisi fly and went deep in to the backing on Phil’s fly reel. That evening, Bill Crelin from Waukesh, WI, and his dad, Bill Crelin from Venice, FL fished “snook alley” in Venice with me. They caught and released about 15 snook to 25” on Grassett’s Grass Minnow flies, Skitterbug flies and live shrimp. Bill’s dad caught and released the largest fish of the evening, a 25” fish, on a live shrimp.

Fly angler, Bruce Bartlett, from CO, and his friend, Mike Farrell from Venice, FL, fished Sarasota Bay with me on Thursday. We had some action in the morning with trout to 17”, ladyfish and a Spanish mackerel on Clouser flies, Enrico Puglisi flies and jigs at the Middleground flat and Stephen’s Point. We hunted reds in shallow water in the afternoon and the action died.

I spent a few hours on Friday morning scouting Sarasota Bay with my friend, Capt. Mark Nichols of DOA Fishing Lures, scouting for the Sarasota CCA Photo All-Release Challenge Fishing Tournament on Saturday. With southwest winds at about 20 mph and an approaching front, fishing spots were limited. We caught and released a red and a trout on a weedless-rigged CAL shad tail near Buttonwood Harbor.

Friday evening and Saturday culminated four months of planning and meetings for our fishing tournament. One hundred anglers fishing with identical boxes of lures and flies participated in the tournament with great results. We awoke to heavy rain and lightning on Saturday and most anglers had to delay their start as a result. Fishing was hot as many anglers had good catches, particularly with snook and redfish. Next weeks tides are favorable for flats fishing and tarpon should become dependable soon.

Tight Lines,
Capt. Rick Grassett
Snook Fin-Addict Guide Service, Inc.
(941) 923-7799
E-mail [email protected]
www.snookfin-addict.com or www.flyfishingflorida.net
Capt. Rick Grassett is a full time fishing guide specializing in lures and flies fishing the flats and coastal gulf waters near Sarasota, FL. He is also a Federation of Fly Fishers fly casting instructor.
Capt. Rick Grassett
Old Salt
Old Salt

Return to Florida - West Coast