Sarasota Florida

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Sarasota Florida

Postby Capt. Bob Smith » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:30 pm

November 26, 2006

Sarasota Florida Fishing Report
By Capt. Bob Smith

The offshore fishing around the artificial “M” reefs has been hot for kingfish and Spanish mackerel. Deep trolling with small spoons has worked best in the bumpy seas. “M-9” has been extra good for the past week. There has been plenty of baitfish around all of the artificial reefs, if you can use them. It was just too rough for me to comfortably fish very far offshore and I don’t troll with planers. Some grouper have been caught in 90’ feet of water about 25 miles offshore.

Closer to shore on the “I” artificial reefs, we had plenty of Spanish mackerel, some bluefish and little tunny. Again, it was trolling deep with small spoons that worked best, but some days live bait or Diamond jigs worked as well.

On the bay, it has been large schools of marauding ladyfish that have given us most of the action for the past few weeks. Live bait or jigs work well. Friday and Saturday found most of the ladyfish south of Stickney Point Road. Redfish, snook, mackerel, bluefish, pompano, triple-tail and an occasional flounder were caught on the bay last week, but not a lot. Harts reef is holding lots of small gag grouper, some snapper and sheepshead. I like to anchor close or over a rock pile and fish the bottom with live shrimp and a small splitshot. Without the ladyfish on the grassflats, it has been very slow fishing the flats on Sarasota Bay. That might all changes in a day.

The fish are moving around! So it won’t be a bus run to find fish but at least most of the species are returning to the bay.

Enjoy & Protect
My Website: http//www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com
Capt. Bob Smith
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - West Coast