Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report

Postby captchas » Sun May 18, 2003 4:37 pm

Tampa Bay Area
Fishing Report
Captain Charles Walker
5/18/03

Weather's hot, water's hot, fishin's hot, what more could you ask for? I want an air conditioner in my boat! It's only May and we have August temperatures already. There are still kingfish and Spanish mackerel biting and as long as they are around, I'm happy. Barracuda, grouper, amberjack, mangrove snapper, triggerfish, grunts, shark, blackfin tuna, and a variety of other delicious bottom fish round out a fishing day for most offshore anglers. Except for the heat, I love this time of year.
On to the bait house reports:

Trappman's Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Cobia have been biting around both bridges this week. Crab and pinfish are the best baits. Small tarpon are in the area and biting well on small shad. Reds are being caught around Weedon Island. At night under the lights on the residential docks in Coffee Pot, big trout are biting on live jumbo shrimp and greenbacks.

Don's Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Tarpon are everywhere this week off the beach. Grouper fishing is good from 50 feet on out. The larger fish seem to be in the deeper water. Mangrove snapper are really biting well and there are still plenty of kings and Spanish mackerel around. Lots of catch and release snook action is in the Pass right now. Some nice big trout are on the flats inside the Pass and some pompano are still being caught around the jetties.

Fathoms on the Dock at Maximo in St. Petersburg - 727-867-3603 - Big trout are biting well in our area. Snook are all over the beach for catch and release. Offshore the AJ's are biting well but the grouper bite slowed a little on the full moon and it seems the better fish are a little farther out now as well. Spanish mackerel and kings are still in the area and biting.

Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Our offshore boats are catching a lot of AJ's from deeper water along with some black fins. Closer in they are bringing in some grouper and plenty of grunts. Anglers on our gas dock are bringing up grouper and mangrove snapper. Lots of snook are around now for catch and release only.

The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Some nice grouper were brought in this week up to 29 inches. Lots of nice mangrove snapper were brought in today. Some real nice speckled trout were caught last night and there seem to be some nice pompano bites this week as well.

Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie's fishing report on the Internet.

If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at [email protected] or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .

Good fishing and tight lines,
Capt. Charlie
http://www.flfish.com
captchas
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - West Coast