Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report

Postby captchas » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:26 pm

Tampa Bay Area
Fishing Report
Captain Charles Walker
6/8/03

Hopefully the winds are going to die this week. Fishing has been tough this week because of the weather, but a few hardy souls have ventured out and actually caught some fish during the two or three hour windows that the wind was not howling. Most of the larger grouper have moved out to deeper water, but some are still in close as they are every summer and can make a nice addition to a mixed bag of bottom fish if you don't want to run 30 miles plus just for grouper. Of course there are still some big grouper in the ship's channel for those anglers who have figured out the right spots, the right time, and the right techniques to catch them. Don't bother to ask, you're going to have to learn them the same way I did, trial and error. If I give away every fishing secret that I know, I will run out of secrets.

On to the bait house reports:
Minnows and Monsters in Tampa - 813-835-1512 - Some nice grouper have come in from the ship's channel. Tarpon are just all over the Bay. Reds are being found on many of the grass flats around the Bay but trout are a little scarce right now.

Fisherman's World in Tarpon Springs, 727-942-8944 - Trout are on the grass flats around Anclote, along with reds and snook. Look for the deeper holes with cooler water for the best fishing. Lots of tarpon are around Anclote on the outside and the inside.

Trappman's Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Reds and trout are being caught around the bridge this weekend. Some nice cobia have been caught off the bridge this week. The mangroves between Snug Harbor and Weedon Island have produced some really big reds. The grass flats near downtown have been producing a lot of trout.

Marina Outpost on Bay Pines Blvd. - 727-384-3474 - Red grouper are coming in from the deeper water offshore. Lots of redfish are being caught on the flats around Bay Pines this week.

Don's Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Tarpon have been hard to catch this week because of the wind, but four were weighed in at our dock last week. Trout and snook have been caught on the flats in inside the pass. Lots of little black tip sharks have been inside the pass this week. Shark fishermen on the beach have been getting good bites this week as well.

Fathoms on the Dock at Maximo in St. Petersburg - 727-867-3603 - Some nice grouper and mangos came from the Port Manatee area this morning. The grass flats around Misener Bridge have been providing some nice trout this week. Some spinners and black tips have been caught in the shallows.

Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- The few offshore trips that made it out in the high winds this week brought home some grouper and mangos. Off our gas dock mangos are the most prevalent catches, but there are still a few legal grouper coming up as well.

The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Cobia have been biting real well on the north side the last few days. Some grouper and lots of mangrove snapper have been caught on both ends. Some nice Spanish mackerel came in this week and lots of real nice trout have been caught close to the shoreline this week. Lots of small sharks have been caught this week and at night the large sharks have been hooked on both piers.

Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie's fishing report on the Internet.

If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at [email protected] or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .

Good fishing and tight lines,
Capt. Charlie
http://www.flfish.com
captchas
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - West Coast