Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Sarasota, FL Fishing Report for 6/8 through 6/15/2003

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Sarasota, FL Fishing Report for 6/8 through 6/15/2003

Postby Capt. Rick Grassett » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:58 am

Fly and spin anglers had an action packed week with tarpon during the past week on the Snook Fin-Addict. Although we were still plagued with west winds and rough sea conditions a couple of days during the week, there was action everyday. Fly anglers landed one out of 3 tarpon jumped and spin anglers landed 3 out of 7, including a 135-pound brute that measured 74 ½” x 35 ½”.

Monday’s wind forecast was not good and the coastal gulf waters were still churned lake a washing machine, so we headed for lower Tampa Bay to check out a report of consistent tarpon action there. We found a hungry school in shallow water and one readily ate the black and purple bunny fly we offered it. After a short battle, the estimated 60-pounder was at the side of the boat.

Tuesday’s trip had the most action with 6 tarpon hooked or jumped, including one on a fly, and one landed in the coastal gulf waters south of Sarasota. The winds switched to the east and the gulf recovered remarkably well. Aledia Tush and Chris Likens, both from Sarasota, FL, fished with me and found the tarpon hungry. Chris landed a 90-pound fish with a 33 ½” girth on a live crab for an entry in the Sarasota Sportfishing Anglers Club’s annual tarpon tournament.

I fished the same area the rest of the week with good results. A fly angler on Wednesday jumped a tarpon that will be burned in my memory for years to come. With our attention focused to the north, looking for southbound fish, a northbound school snuck up on us from behind. After hearing them gulp air 20 feet behind the boat, there was only time for one false cast and a short cast at 7 o’clock. We watched the Enrico Puglisi black mullet fly tracking alongside the boat as it was slowly stripped. Suddenly a tarpon sucked the fly in, and then shook its head for several seconds like a dog playing tug-of-war with a chew toy. Once the fish realized it had been stuck it got angry, running into the backing and blasting two of the highest jumps I’ve ever seen. The hook pulled after about 5-minutes and our hearts were still racing!

Terry Notari, from Longboat Key, FL, and his son, Craig Notari from Wilmette, IL, fished with me on Thursday and Friday. Craig has caught the largest fish of the season with me for the last two years and he may have done it again. The wind shifted to the south early on Thursday and the seas got rough. As a result, tarpon weren’t showing well, but they were there. We free-lined a threadfin behind the boat to see if we could catch one swimming by us and it worked. Terry landed an 80-pounder on Thursday using this technique. Conditions improved on Friday and Craig was committed to catch his first tarpon with a fly, but it just wasn’t in the cards. While Craig patiently waited for a shot with a fly, the fish weren’t showing very well. Again it was the free-lined threadfin swimming behind the boat that hooked a tarpon sneaking by us. It was Craig’s turn this time and he fought the big fish hard until we could get a measuring tape around her. We were pleasantly surprised that she was much bigger than we initially thought. The measurements translated to a 135-pound fish, which explained why she didn’t want to easily give up.

Saturday’s trip had a couple of bites and one fish jumped. There were lots of anglers on the water, so the best shots were early and then the action dried up. I expect tarpon to be moving fast for the next couple of days as we head away from the full moon. Hopefully by the middle of the week they should settle down and start to behave more favorably.

Tight Lines,
Capt. Rick Grassett
Snook Fin-Addict Guide Service, Inc.
(941) 923-7799
E-mail [email protected]
www.snookfin-addict.com or www.flyfishingflorida.net
Capt. Rick Grassett is a full time fishing guide specializing in lures and flies fishing the flats and coastal gulf waters near Sarasota, FL. He is also a Federation of Fly Fishers fly casting instructor.
Capt. Rick Grassett
Old Salt
Old Salt

Return to Florida - West Coast