Sarasota Florida Report

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Sarasota Florida Report

Postby Capt. Bob Smith » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:10 pm

August 26, 2007

Sarasota Florida Fishing Report
By Capt. Bob Smith

Bay fishing is still good! The only problem is getting the bait to the larger fish! All of the grassflats seem to be covered with small snapper, grouper and trout that seem to be more numerous than the pinfish and grunts. This is a very good time to start your younger kids fishing. It will keep them and you busy.

We are catching nice size trout, redfish, bluefish, Spanish mackerel and keeper size snapper by using sturdier bait instead of the small live shrimp you find in the bait shop this time of year. I mostly use artificial baits at this time and the DOA 3” shrimp is my favorite. If my people can get a DOA in the water, they will catch fish on it.

With a little more skill, you can find success with more durable lures like tandem Love lures, 52M R&W Mirrolure, Buck tails and many of the spoons and plugs we all have in our tackle box. Let them sink and work them just above the bottom grass.

The best live bait this time of year is Pigfish fished on popping cork with just an enough leader to reach the top of the grass, but not be enough to hide in it. Fresh caught pigfish are very noisy in or out of the water when hooked and will call the fish in. After your float goes under, you need to give it some time before setting the hook hard. You also need to make sure the line is tight between you and the fish before setting the hook.

For redfish and maybe some snook, you’ll need to fish around and under the docks. There are not a lot of reds on the bay, but there are some very big ones. Don’t be surprised if you snap a few lines.

I would like to thank you all for the very nice emails I have received about my website. I would also like to know of any improvements you might like or things that don’t work.

Enjoy & Protect
My Website: http//www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com 8)
Capt. Bob Smith
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - West Coast