Web Development

Fishing, what else?

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Fishing, what else?

Postby captpete » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:44 am

Boca Grande, Fl
18 November 2004

Tailing Redfish Time. That's what we should call winter in Florida. Yesterday there were at least 100 reds tailing on a single flat. I only had time for one area so who knows how many were tailing elsewhere. This is great fishing.

The reason so many fish were seen is the negative tide. The water was very, very low. My Maverick Mirage HPX goes in 5 inches of water, so the low water was not a problem for me. We could move quietly which allowed us to get close without disturbing the fish. Presentation of the fly is critical at that point. Great fun!

Dickie Ciff-Atkins, from Bath, England, has been fishing with me all week. We spent a couple days in Islamorada and found tarpon, bonefish and permit on the inside flats. All were tough, but great fun anyway. Next stop was 10,000 Islands in the Everglades. Decent trout and jacks at the river mouths. Next off to Boca Grande for a great day of seatrout in the back country and lots of tailing redfish. Dickie's first trip to the states and first experience with salt water was very exciting and a great learning experience.

On Tuesday I found mackerel and ladyfish busting bait off Little Gasparilla Island. Mixed with them were a few king mackerel. A big white Estaz marabou, ala Ron Whitely, did the job. There should be plenty of action all over the area for the next few weeks, so get you gear on and lets go!

Good luck and Tight Lines,
Pete
A FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor
captpete
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - West Coast