Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

levelwinder

Cedar Key to Pensacola

Moderator: admin

levelwinder

Postby brandon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:50 am

Im going down to p c the first weekend in march and bought a penn 209 levelwinder :roll:

I mounted it on an ugly stick 7'6 medium action and plan on doing some fishing straight off the beach :Dwith some 20# test

do you have any suggestions as to bait and weight for a married guy who wants that time in the mornings while the wife is sleeping and im not charter fishing that day

got it bad in AL 8)

Brandon

P.S. thanks for your time

just gettin started
brandon
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:51 am

Brandon, get some dead bait from wallyworld, Sqiud, Menhaden or the sorts, tie on a three way swivel on one side of the swivel go to the main line on the second tie on a 6" peice of mono to a bottom weight 2-4 oz. depends on the current at the time you want it to stay put, and on the other tie on a 12" peice of heavier mono, (40 lb. test) to a size 10 circle hook from Eagle Claw and cast it out as far as you can, maybe even swim it out, and let it sit on the bottom, sharks, reds, sting rays, jacks, who knows what might swim by maybe even a Cobia.

Hope this will get you started, Good luck.
Capt. Eddie
Full Net Charters offers the finest Near Shore and Inshore fishing charters anywhere on the Gulf.
http://www.fullnetcharters.com
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby pentel » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:42 pm

Brandon;

A 2 hook "dropper" rig with a 2 - 4 oz sinker (depending on surf) and circle hooks in the 1/0 area will be the best terminal tackle. Sandfleas or 1/2 a peeled shrimp would be the best baits for Pompano, whiting or reds in the surf.

capt. Larry Pentel
Capt. Larry Pentel
pentel
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

about time

Postby brandon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:09 pm

Capt. Eddie and Larry,

:P I just appreciate someone taking the time to give a little professional advice. :idea: I've been on about 3 or 4 forums and it was starting to *beep* me off because no one wanted to help a newbie :roll: thanks so much :wink: you really dont know just how much that helps me instead of having to buy a bunch of extra tackle that i probably would never use :!:

Are either one of you in the panama city area :?:

Thanks for your time,

Brandon
just gettin started
brandon
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:52 pm

No problem Brandon, as Capt. Larry stated for smaller fish such as the Pompano and Whiting, I would recomend droping down to smaller tackle. The rig you mentioned would handle a good sized fish, I fish for 150 Lb. Tarpon on 20 Lb. outfits. Drop down to 10 or 12lb. tackle for the Pomps and Whiting, A lot more sporting.
Good Fishing!
Capt. Eddie
Full Net Charters offers the finest Near Shore and Inshore fishing charters anywhere on the Gulf.
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

found it.....

Postby brandon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:07 pm

I found this rig locally for a fairly reasonable price. :D I researched it online for several days before i bought :!: and plan to use it when i go out for grouper and snapper on a head boat. I saw online it also suggested it was good for shark and king mackerel :roll: I just didn't want to spend 30 bucks on a wally world spinner combo and use it in the saltwater once and maybe hit a nice fish off the pier and strip the gears out. or have the sand seize it up:wink: I was thinking i could go out on the beach at night and put me a slab of bonita on the end and maybe catch a shark with a steel leader but im not all that great with knots and different rigs :x

Will a wal-mart medium light spinner combo work for throwin a pompano rig in the surf :?: I'm all for it if its not waisting money.

:?: :?: :?: any suggestions for an inexpensive spinner combo in the medium light range :?: :roll:

Thanks for your time

Brandon 8)
just gettin started
brandon
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:08 pm

Brandon, you can do well with an inexpensive outfit, be careful with the clean up and it will last. Look at the 7’ med. Action Berkley Cherrywood rod $25.00 and an Abu Garcia Cardinal C103 reel, in the $30.00 range, and its a good reel, load it up with 10lb Power Pro and you got yourself a nice inshore outfit that will give you years of good service for $55.00.
The rig I mentioned earlier will do for shark as the circle hook will end up (in most cases) in the corner of the mouth. If not it will cut you off. But wallyworld carries steel pre-rigged leaders go with the smaller 40’ test wire, it will be plenty heavy enough, and hang on!
Good Fishing,
Capt. Eddie
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

thanks

Postby brandon » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:57 pm

would you really load my levelwinder with 40 lb. it just seems like it would be hard to cast. the line i put on it last night was berkley trilene 20lb. big game. Im going to avoid swimming out my bait as much as possible :? I guess ive been watching shark week too much :wink:

Im going to make a trip to wally world now just to see if they have a cardinal in stock.

thanks for your time.
just gettin started
brandon
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:49 am

Brandon, reread -
12" peice of heavier mono, (40 lb. test)

only a leader twelve inches long. I'll post a site for rigging for you, when I find it. By all means leave the 20lb. on the reel.
Capt. Eddie
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Postby Capt. Eddie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:06 am

Brandon, this is a 3 way swivel rig.
Note the hook would be tied to a 40lb. leader. the lead to a 20lb. or lighter.
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

got it

Postby brandon » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:13 am

I understand now :roll:

I just get in a hurry sometimes. Do you remember when you hooked your first grouper :?: My first was a twenty pounder and I thought I had Jaws on the other end the way that little sucker pulled. From that moment on I was hooked :D you know the feeling :idea:

I found the 103.Its a good looking reel (came with the extra spool) It just seemed a little gaudy for the cherry wood but on your advice I bought it. I used to fish ultralite with a Daiwa UL -7 for bream creek wading It seemed like more of a challenge with an ultralite openface and I know it will be a whole lot easier to throw :idea: it kind of reminded of that set-up. Just ocean size :shock:

Thanks for all the advice Eddie. I think It's going to be a great trip :roll:

Brandon
just gettin started
brandon
Swabbie
Swabbie

line

Postby brandon » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:25 am

P.S.

Will 17lb test make the 209 any easier to throw than the 20 ?

It just seemed like the 20 would not be all that castable or limp :!:

Thanks again,

Brandon 8)
just gettin started
brandon
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Capt. Eddie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:39 am

Brandon, leave the 20lb. on there since you already have it spooled up, it will do fine and it will be a little more versatile, the spinning outfit will do for anything from 20lb. Reds to 1lb.Specks, as long as your not around a lot of structure (the piers and such)
Good luck and report back after your trip with your catch.
Capt. Eddie
Capt. Eddie
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - Panhandle & Big Bend