Terms of Use
 Web Development

Lake Fork Report & 10 lb’er Pics--May 28, 2007

Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

Lake Fork Report & 10 lb’er Pics--May 28, 2007

Postby tom redington » Mon May 28, 2007 10:02 am

Kevin showing off a couple 7s:

Here I am doing a little scouting on my day off. A few big postspawners for me, including a 10-0, 7-13, and a 7-4, with my biggest 5 bass weighing 38-1/2 lbs. My next best 5 bass would have weighed between 25 and 30 lbs. Needless to say, a fun day of “work”!

Another bass pic of one that went 7 lb 4 oz:

Fishing hasn’t changed much this past week, with a few really good days and a few really slow days. When the deep bite has been on, we’ve caught a lot of 6 to 10 pound bass. Other days, the fish just seemed to disappear out deep. Shallow fishing has been very good at times on topwaters and wacky worms, making for lots of excitement with repeated jumps from 2 to 5 pounders, along with the occasional big fish. And with the continued rains, rising water, and more newly flooded vegetation, look for the shallow fishing to remain good at least through June. Until the rains stop and the water temps warm up, the deep bite will remain a little inconsistent. Once the summertime patterns really get going, late May, June, and July is my 2nd most favorite time of the year, with big fish coming regularly on swimbaits, crankbaits, and Carolina rigs out deep and on jigs along deep weedlines.

I’ve added my June fishing article to my website, “Rules of Thumb for Carolina vs. Texas Rigs.” To read this and my other articles, check them out at http://www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishingarticles.htm .

Lake Conditions: Lake Fork’s water level rose a little after a couple rains this week, currently reading 402.05’, about 11” below full pool. With rain forecast for all week, Fork should be in great shape this summer with lots of newly flooded vegetation and deep grassbeds. Due to all of the vegetation, most of the lake is clear right now, although a few places are stained from runoff and wind. Water temps have stayed moderate because of the rains and overcast days, reading in the mid 70s in most areas.

Location Pattern: While almost all of the spawning has wrapped up, many bass are remaining shallow on spawning flats and chasing after bluegill, fry, and spawning shad in the ever expanding submerged and emergent weeds. For bigger females, fish slightly deeper structure such as points, creek channels, and ledges; any of which are in close proximity to spawning areas. Deep structure in 18’ to 30’ is once again where I’ve caught most of my big fish this week. Some days these bass are suspended and other days they’re on the bottom. And most of these schools have been small, so watch your depth finder closely.

Presentation Pattern: First thing in the morning, frog baits like a Fork Frog in black neon or watermelon/red flake/pearl belly are working well some days. Cast these all the way to the bank and drag them across the newly flooded grass, then let them drop after coming across the mat. Other days, poppers are working better, and these baits have worked all day long sometimes. For bass on the grass flats that won’t chase a topwater, a wacky rigged watermelon or Junebug Twitch Worm is hard to beat. For bigger bass, pitch a 3/8 oz Mega Weight jig or a Texas rigged Flipper to holes in the grass and lily pads on flats or near stumps on points and creek channels. I’m using a green pumpkin/black or a watermelon seed jig with a watermelon/red flake Fork Craw trailer and a green pumpkin or watermelon/red flake Flipper on the Texas rig. Out deeper, ½ oz Mega Weight tungsten jigs in green pumpkin/black with watermelon candy or Blue Bruiser colored Fork Craw trailers or Texas rigged green pumpkin Twitch Worms are catching some really big bass from schools located on the bottom on deep structure. When the bass are suspended, swimbaits or deep diving crankbaits in shad or yellow bass patterns are working best and catching some lunkers too. Finally, my Carolina rig and drop shot bite came on a little this week. Try a watermelon/red flake or Killer Craw colored Baby Fork Creature on your Carolina rig or a watermelon chartreuse Twitch Worm on your drop shot.

Lake Baccarac Update: Fishing was very good for numbers this past week but after all of the 10 to 15 pounders for most of May, double digit bass were scarce for a few days last week. Things returned to normal on Thursday, with 4 over 10 caught, including a 12.2. There are still a few openings left for this season, while the fall and winter of 2007/2008 are booking very quickly. Anyone interested in fishing Baccarac next season should start finalizing their plans soon, as the lodge only holds 24 anglers and many of the premium dates are already booked solid. For more info on a trip to Baccarac, please check out my website: http://www.bigmexicobass.com .

Here’s hoping you catch the lunker of your dreams. If I can be of assistance, please contact me at 214-683-9572 (days) or 972-635-6027 (evenings) or e-mail me through http://www.LakeForkGuideTrips.com , where your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Good Fishing,

Tom
tom redington
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Gulf Coast - Western