Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Southwest Florida Fishing Report for 3/22 through 3/29/2003

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Southwest Florida Fishing Report for 3/22 through 3/29/2003

Postby Capt. Rick Grassett » Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:45 pm

Anglers on the Snook Fin-Addict caught and released a variety of fish during the past week. Spin and fly anglers caught and released trout, Spanish mackerel and large jack crevalle in Sarasota Bay. Reds, trout and snook were caught and released on the flats of lower Tampa Bay in the Terra Ceia Bay area. One day in Charlotte Harbor produced trout, ladyfish and a nice snook on flies and a dozen snook were caught and released on flies on an evening trip in Venice.

Sarasota winter resident, Jack Miller, and his son-in-law, Mark, fished Sarasota Bay with me last Sunday. It was a windy day, but they managed a decent catch of trout on jigs that included several slot-size fish. Pat Campbell, from Toronto, OH, and Gene Leverone, from Lynnfield, MA, fish “snook alley” with me on Sunday evening They caught and released about 12 snook to 23” on Grassett’s Grass Minnow, Enrico Puglisi’s shrimp and Skitterbug flies.

Rick Peregord, from Southgate, MI, and his son, Bill Peregord from Chicago, IL, fished 3 days with me last week. Their best action was in the Terra Ceia Bay area where they caught and released 7 reds, 3 snook, several trout and flounder on CAL jigs with shad tails and grubs over the course of 2 days.

Fly angler, Scott Swango from Springfield, MO, fished Gasparilla Sound in Charlotte Harbor with me on Wednesday. It was a tough day with not much action in the morning. We fished potholes in flats and mangrove shorelines with only a few, trout, ladyfish and a jack for our efforts. We moved to a sand bar outside Turtle Bay and found reds and snook, but they were too spooky to catch from the boat. We waded the bar and Scott sight-fished a 25” snook in crystal clear water on white sand. The snook took a chartreuse/white Clouser and made several nice runs before posing for a picture with Scott.

Tom Klein, from Longboat Key, FL and his son, Jon Klein from Detroit, MI, fished Sarasota Bay with me on Friday morning. They caught numerous trout to 18” near Buttonwood Harbor and a pair of jacks in the 10-pound class at the Middleground flat on Cotee jigs with grubs. Fly anglers, Lew Murray from Williamsburg, MI, his daughter, Kendall, and son-in-law, Nate, fished the same area with me on Friday afternoon. They had great action with trout to 18” on Ultra Hair Clouser flies near Buttonwood Harbor. They also caught and released a nice Spanish mackerel near the Ringling flat. Nate had never fly fished before stepping on the boat, but with some instruction he was casting 40 feet and catching fish on flies.

Next weeks tides are favorable for flats fishing as we head toward the new moon. A front forecast to pass through our area tomorrow could make fishing challenging early in the week.

Tight Lines,
Capt. Rick Grassett
Snook Fin-Addict Guide Service, Inc.
(941) 923-7799
E-mail [email protected]
www.snookfin-addict.com or www.flyfishingflorida.net
Capt. Rick Grassett is a full time fishing guide specializing in lures and flies fishing the flats and coastal gulf waters near Sarasota, FL. He is also a Federation of Fly Fishers fly casting instructor.
Capt. Rick Grassett
Old Salt
Old Salt

Return to Florida - West Coast