Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

fishing marathon may 31-june 5

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

fishing marathon may 31-june 5

Postby fishaholic » Fri May 02, 2003 10:46 am

going to marathon onvacation looking for advice? i have a 16.5 procraft bass boat. i am thinking about bringing it with me. i like to fly fish and light tackle also like big game too. sholud i live the boat at home and rent a boat? if so where? any suggestions? or should i take mine fish the bay? then take it up to flamingo? if i do that what can i plan on fishing for in both place marathon and flamingo?

thanks
fishaholic
Make sure you put the plug in the boat before you leave the dock. It makes for a wet day.
fishaholic
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby topangler » Fri May 02, 2003 1:14 pm

There are a lot of things to consider before you tow your boat 200+ miles.

1. What’s the condition of your tow vehicle?
  2. What’s the condition of your trailer?
  3. How many days are you actually going to fish?
If you are going to fish for 3-5 days it very well may be worth it…

Also, I’m not sure how well you know the waters of Marathon and Flamingo. Flamingo is an EXTREMELY shallow area…

At the time you are going, tarpon should be red hot. Live baiting for tarpon is something anyone can do even without knowing the area well. I’m not familiar enough with marathon to suggest any specific spots, but here is one possible strategy:

Assuming your boat has a live well, catch a couple dozen pinfish on any grass flat. Take those to any nearby channel and/or bridge and let them soak… Once you’re out there you will be able to find local hot spots by spotting other boats doing the same. For example, you may see a bunch of boats anchored up parallel to one of the bridges. Chances are they are live baiting for tarpon. Take up a position next to them…

This method may be even more productive at night – not to mention more comfortable :D

PS: I haven’t rented a boat in years so I have no clue who to recommend.
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

Postby fishaholic » Fri May 02, 2003 2:35 pm

fishing at least 3 days i can get a 20'pursuit for $480.00 its 367 miles from my house. $50 in extra gas roundtrip. inconvience of pulling trailer around $50 in dockage fee at the hotel. my trailer is in decent shape. my towing vehile grand cherokee in excellent cond. my thought is the bigger boat will allow me to get to the reefs. so maybe i will rent the boat. if i take my bass boat will that be good enough for tarpon? i have bait casters and one penn 4500 will this tackle work? i fish calcuttas and ambassedeurs.

thanks for the input

fishaholic
Make sure you put the plug in the boat before you leave the dock. It makes for a wet day.
fishaholic
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby topangler » Fri May 02, 2003 3:33 pm

fishaholic wrote:...so maybe i will rent the boat.

Bring boat/rent boat decision is yours to make. There are just too many variables.

if i take my bass boat will that be good enough for tarpon? i have bait casters and one penn 4500 will this tackle work? i fish calcuttas and ambassedeurs.

The bass boat would be fine for tarpon - unless its a really rough day – but I’ve seen some spectacular tarpon fishing within several hundred yards from a boat ramp :-)

As far as tackle, I’m a light tackle freak and like fishing for tarpon on 12 and 20 at the most. So, if you have rods capable of applying full pressure using 12 and 20, reels with good drags which can approx. 300 yards of line, you’re good to go. Also, I use either spin or conventional...

Many people prefer much heavier tackle – but that’s no fun.
"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
--- General George S. Patton
topangler
Old Salt
Old Salt

Postby fishaholic » Fri May 02, 2003 3:38 pm

:lol: thanks for the advice. it is very appreciated
fishaholic
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby RudyGomez » Sat May 03, 2003 1:37 pm

fishaholic,

I just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to our forum. Make sure you come back and tell us how you did in the Keys.
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Fishing Marathon

Postby Reidster » Mon May 26, 2003 8:59 pm

Fishaholic,

I'm from Altamonte Springs and have plans to be in Marathon the week of June 7 - 14. I'm pulling my flats boat down there and hope to hook up on tarpon and try for a bone fish. Can anyone tell me how the bone fishing is in June?

Good luck and have a great trip.
Them that know, know that they know.
Them that don't know, just don't know.
Reidster

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay