Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Lake Fork Report & Pics, July 15, 2007

Texas - Port Arthur to Brownsville

Moderator: admin

Lake Fork Report & Pics, July 15, 2007

Postby tom redington » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:36 am

Darlene and her husband Major Pat Staley enjoyed a trip to Fork during his time on leave from Iraq. Darlene caught her biggest bass ever on our trip, a 7 lb 1 ounce lunker, along with a number of other good ones on Carolina rigged Baby Creatures. Pat also caught his biggest bass ever during his stay at Fork, a toad over 9 lbs. Stay safe Pat and see you back here soon!

Joe caught his biggest bass ever after horsing this 8 lb 9 oz beauty out of a deep tree:

One of my biggest drop shot bass ever with a spinning rod and 10 lb test in timber, a 9 lb 3 oz beast. Also, another drop shot bass of almost 8 lbs and an 8 lb 2 oz Carolina Rig Baby Creature beauty:

With lots of fresh runoff and cooler than normal temps, the bass at Lake Fork remain scattered from the backs of creeks to deep water structure. For those who enjoy fishing shallow, bass are scattered all over the shallow grassbeds in all of the newly flooded cover. Anyone familiar with Texas summers knows that throwing spinnerbaits and topwaters midday in low 80 degree air temps is pretty unusual. On the other hand, deep water continues to produce our biggest bass, with a number of good ones in the 6 to a little over 9 lb category coming recently. The rising and falling water levels coupled with the quick changing weather conditions have changed the best fishing pattern daily and often even hourly, so stay flexible until you start catching good ones.

As a side note, I posted my July article, an in-depth review of the drop shot technique. All of my fishing articles can be viewed at http://www.lakeforkguidetrips.com/fishingarticles.htm .

Lake Conditions: Lake Fork’s water level is on the rise again after falling earlier this week, currently reading 403.89’, about 11” above full pool. While many area lakes are way over their banks causing ramp closures, there are no problems with any of the Fork boat launches. The higher water levels have flooded a bunch of shallow vegetation that is holding fish, along with an inside grassline at about 6’ and a deep weedline in 8’ to about 13’. Due to all of the vegetation, most of the lake has remained pretty clear, while the backs of some creeks are stained from runoff. Water temps have stayed moderate because of the rains and overcast days, reading low 80s in most areas.

Location Pattern: Many bass are remaining shallow near spawning flats and chasing after bluegill, fry, and shad in the shallow grass. Although the bass are feeding in only 1’ to 8’, most of the bass and especially the bigger fish are holding near deeper water. Look for creek channels or ledges on the edge of flats or find grass on main lake points or flats next to quick drop-offs. Deep structure in 14’ to 36’ is once again where we’ve caught most of our big fish this week. Some days these bass are suspended and other days they’re on the bottom. And most of these schools have been small, so watch your depth finder closely.

Presentation Pattern: First thing in the morning and on cloudy days, poppers and black or white Fork Frogs have worked well some days. Once the bass stop chasing topwaters, switch to a spinnerbait or a wacky rigged watermelon or Junebug Twitch Worm in the same areas and you’ll continue to catch fish. For bigger bass, pitch a Mega Weight jig or a Texas rigged Flipper along the deep weedline and key on any timber in the area. I’m using a green pumpkin/black or a watermelon seed 3/8 oz jig with a watermelon/red flake Fork Craw trailer and a green pumpkin or watermelon/red flake Flipper on the Texas rig with a 3/16 oz sinker. Another great way to catch hogs is to go with a 4.5” or the new 5.5” Live Magic Shad in white or shad colors and slow roll it over the top of grassbeds, while pausing and letting it flutter down into the holes. Out deeper, Texas rigged green pumpkin and black neon 10” Lake Fork Worms are catching some really big bass from schools located on the bottom on deep structure. In these same areas, drop shotting watermelon candy or watermelon/red flake Twitch Worms are catching lots of keeper sized fish and some big ones, too. Or switch to a Carolina rigged watermelon candy or green pumpkin colored Baby Fork Creature or Fork Creature and steadily drag it along until you find a piece of wood, then slow it way down and get ready for a big one. When the bass are suspended, swimbaits, spoons, or deep diving crankbaits in shad or yellow bass patterns are working best and catching some lunkers too. The key is counting your bait down to the level of the bass and keeping it in front of them for as much of the retrieve as possible.

Lake Baccarac Update: Fishing has remained excellent since the end of May for both numbers and size. Here are a couple of reports from the last 2 weeks. Will Garrison's group of 26 anglers recorded an unbelievable trip with 40 fish over 10 pounds. 23 out of the 26 anglers caught a fish 10 pounds with the biggest fish weighing 15.6 and the second biggest weighing 14.9. David Davies catching the 14.9 along with 5 others over 11 pounds on the same day! Many boats report catching between 150 and 200 bass a day. Mark Barton reports, there were 5 of us, from Phoenix, Scott Anderson, Bill Meredith and myself. We had two buddies from Flagstaff and Sedona, Dan Bright and Steve Ash. Steve and Dan used swim baits and caught a bunch of great fish in the rancho padre area. Dan had an 11.10 and Steve a 9.6, they also caught numerous fish in the 6 to 9 pound range. Scott, Bill and I also did very well, with Bill bagging an 11.9, Scott a 10.14 and me with a 10+. We caught a bunch of fish in the 6 to 9 range and tons in the 4 and 5 pound range. Baits used were swim baits in white and/or chartreuse, jigs in white, black and green, worms or lizards in darker colors with watermelon the best.

The fall and winter of 2007/2008 are booking very quickly, with already only limited dates left in most months. Anyone interested in fishing Baccarac next season should start finalizing their plans soon, as the lodge only holds 24 anglers and many of the premium dates are already booked solid. For more info on a trip to Baccarac, please check out my website: http://www.bigmexicobass.com .

Here’s hoping you catch the lunker of your dreams. If I can be of assistance, please contact me at 214-683-9572 (days) or 972-635-6027 (evenings) or e-mail me through http://www.LakeForkGuideTrips.com , where your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Good Fishing,

Tom
tom redington
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Gulf Coast - Western