Big Mack & King

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Big Mack & King

Postby Capt. Bob Smith » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:16 pm

October 18, 2008

Sarasota Florida Fishing Report
By Capt. Bob Smith

It has been a good week for fishing along the coast in twenty to thirty feet of water. The high winds and full moon did not deter the fishing. Fishing just off Lido beach and out of New Pass, we caught plenty of Spanish mackerel up to six pounds or more. They were coming in all sizes, from twelve inches and up, and most were good size.

King mackerel also made a good showing and were mixed in with the Spanish. The kings were running ten to twenty pounds. One boat did land a forty pound king on a half of a Spanish mackerel while fishing for sharks.

Other fish mixed in with the mackerel were barracuda, bluefish, black-tip sharks and some cobia were spotted. Baitfish of all kinds was easy to catch with gold hook rigs, sometimes on the bottom and sometimes on top. Live baitfish, a 5/0 hook, six inches of #5 coffee wire and four feet of forty to sixty pound test mono leader connected to the line with a blood knot, not swivel worked well for us.

When the mackerel were on top and boiling the water, we had a lot of fun casting or pulling small Diamond jigs. This was very fast action when the opportunity presented itself. I do not use wire or swivels, just a forty pound test mono leader connected with a blood knot. A trailing swivel is something other fish will snap at and cut your line. Keep the jigs moving fast and don’t stop. This should save you some jigs. I lose some but most end-up looking like a Brillo pad before I lose or retire them.

Enjoy & Protect
My Website: http//www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com
Capt. Bob Smith
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Florida - West Coast