Terms of Use
 Web Development

Sunshine Skyway Tips

Venice to Cedar Key

Moderator: admin

Sunshine Skyway Tips

Postby bLuDd DoCtOr » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:27 pm

Hello Everybody,
I recently moved to Bradenton for medical school and I have some questions about tips for fishing the Skyway Pier/Tampa Bay in general. I lived the first 22 years of my life freshwater fishing in PA and the occasional pier and surf fishing in NC.
What I've been doing so far is using multiple rods with actions and tackle appropriate for their targets. I typically have surf rigs with 1-2oz of weight, gamakatsu hooks, and use mostly cut squid and the occasional shrimp or cut fish. I seem to have the most luck with the squid as it stays on the hook long enough to fight off baitfish attacks. Mostly, what I catch is grunts, gafftopsails, the occasional sheepshead, and typically hook a juvenile shark or two.
It seems as though it's pretty inconsistent for me with this setup. I also would like to learn to fish for snook, grouper, mackerel, etc. but im not sure what setups, bait, etc. I should use. Also, are there any websites that you may have come across that have regular fishing reports for the pier in general? I don't have access to a boat so my fishing is pretty limited to this area.
Any info is greatly appreciated!
Happy Hooking,
bLuDd DoCtOr
bLuDd DoCtOr

12/02/08

Postby bLuDd DoCtOr » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:04 pm

Tonight was mediocre at best. We caught a ton of grunts, a few sizable, and one trout. There were a ton of bonnetheads frenzying but none would hit. No really sizable action and the pier was desolate. Any tips would be extremely appreciated.
Happy Hooking,
bLuDd DoCtOr
bLuDd DoCtOr

Nothing beats live pinfish for grouper.

Postby AlaskaFishingGuy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Nothing and let me repeat that NOTHING beats live pinfish for grouper... granted the grouper numbers off the skyway will improve in the winter and be non-existant in the summer, so plan that out for when you target them.

You can catch your own live pinfish easily in shallow water with light duty tackle. Just make sure your bait bucket has an aerator as the pinfish will need it.

Good luck and tight lines.
- The Alaska Fishing Guy
Alaska Fishing
AlaskaFishingGuy
Swabbie
Swabbie

Return to Florida - West Coast