Terms of Use
 Web Development

Reds, Blacks Inshore; Bonito, Blues Off Wrightsville Beach

Georgia to North Carolina

Moderator: admin

Reds, Blacks Inshore; Bonito, Blues Off Wrightsville Beach

Postby Capt Rick Bennett » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:00 am

Hi Folks,
Water temps are warming and so is the fishing! We had a good time over the holiday weekend with a bunch of black drum and reds. And .... drum role please...the bonito have shown their stripes. Too rough for the Rod-Man to get out thus far, but some of the bigger boats have reported catches of bonito near shore.
Now here's my report:
Inshore: Water temps have warmed to the mid 60's and the black drum and reds have risen to the occasion. They are biting fresh cut shrimp. I fish for them on a carolina rig.
Near Shore: As mentioned the bonito have started their spring run. Some nice bluefish are biting as well. Both can be had with your favorite jigging spoon or by trolling clarkspoons.
Offshore: I have received reports of king mackerel in the 20-25 mile areas which is a very good sign. Spring kings will be assaulting the near shore areas soon.
Gulfstream: Boats that have been able to make the trip have had good catches of wahoo and tuna (blackfin and yellowfin).
Now if we could just turn that big fan out there down a notch or three....it has been a windy spring.

Upcoming: It will not be long before the spanish mackerel start their migration into our area and we are all looking forward too that time. By mid-May, some flounder should be biting. The first weekend in June brings my new "In the Water" Fishing School. There are still some seats left so check out the details at http://www.rodmancharters.com/2009-inth ... school.htm

Until next time.....
LET'S GO FISHING!!!
Capt. Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Charters
910-799-6120

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Capt Rick Bennett
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Atlantic Coast - Central