Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Chub Cay - May 2009

Includes: The Bahamas, Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Venezuela and any other exotic fishing locations in the Islands, Central and South America.

Chub Cay - May 2009

Postby RudyGomez » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 am

We made it to Chub Cay last week in search of Marlin... Three words can describe the trip best... Dolphin, dolphin and more dolphin...

I've always wanted to try and catch a marlin from my own boat, so I pulled together an equally eager gaggle of forum members to join me in the quest: Jorge (Playing Hooky), Rob, Juan & Chuck.

After what seemed like a solid month of 20+ knot winds, we made the crossing to Bimini last Saturday in 2-3 foot seas, and it just got better each day.

We basically trolled marlin lures all around the pocket for 5 days and never saw a single marlin... Sure, we had a few suspicious multiple knock-downs and hooked a few mystery fish that pulled a good amount of drag on 80 before parting ways, but no definitive marlin sightings.

To some observers, the trip may seem like a disappointment, but not to me or any of our crew members... We experienced 5 days of the best dolphin fishing I've ever seen. The dolphin were thick - every day, all day long.

We had come prepared with 60 rigged ballyhoo and over 120 unrigged... We quickly discovered that trolling meat was not wise if we were to have any chance of finding the man in the blue suit. It seemed like any time we put any meat in the water the baits would last only seconds. The first three days we trolled plastics - almost exclusively. We even tried to find areas not infested with lunker dolphin, but it was tough.

By the last few days, we relented and simply enjoyed the awesome dolphin fishing. I don't think we ever saw a fish under 15 lbs. Most of the fish were in the 20's and 30's. The biggest fish we kept was 38 and lost a much larger one boat-side.

I could not have asked for a better crew. They fished their buts off for 5 days and were a joy to share the experience with. Hopefully, we can do it again next year...

Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Postby HeaVEEweight » Mon May 11, 2009 10:37 am

How did you let a guy with a Contender shirt on your boat? Bad mojo...that's why you didn't catch any marlin.

T
HeaVEEweight

Postby cybersnookER » Mon May 11, 2009 11:51 am

Wow,looks like awesome fishing Rudy! Congrats Rudy and crew!
cybersnookER
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Postby ComfortablyDrunk » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 am

I thought you guys were going to throw those pesky Dolphins back. Since Marlin were the target of choice. :lol: I told Jorge everytime a 20 pounder hit the deck was going to be "release into the ice chest". I am glad I was right.
It looks like you all had a great trip. I am sorry I missed it. Great pics.

BTW it looks as if Rob was really accustomed to driving you around in the golf cart.. :lol: :lol:
ComfortablyDrunk
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby RudyGomez » Thu May 14, 2009 1:29 pm

ComfortablyDrunk,

The correct terminology is, "Filet and Release"...

Seriously, we must have released over 100 dolphin in 5 days. Let's see... with an average of 20 lbs... that's literally One Ton of dolphin released!
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez

Return to International - Tropical - NEW!