Home

Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

Key Largo, 7/4/09 – WIDE OPEN mutton bite!

The Palm Beaches to Key Largo

Moderator: admin

Key Largo, 7/4/09 – WIDE OPEN mutton bite!

Postby Playing Hooky » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:20 am

We headed down to Key Largo this weekend for the 4th of July weekend and had a great day of fishing on Saturday. We dropped anchor in 135’ and caught two muttons on our first drop. Re-rigged, dropped again, caught two more and I knew we hit the honey hole dead on. Dropped again and two more fish were in the boat! I was giddy with the sensation that we had just stepped into a wide-open mutton bite. Fish started hitting the deck faster than I could rig baits  :lol: . Then the flat line started to sing and we were on with a king. Here’s where it got interesting. I gaffed the king and was headed for the box with him when a treble snags my thumb and embeds itself to the bend in the hook. A few weeks ago the same thing happened to Jorge and now it was my turn. I had two choices… yank it out or call it quits in the middle of this bite. Let's just say it hurt like hell, lol. The red hot bite continued until around 10:30am but we left the fish biting as we were running low on ice and had plenty of fish. The bite should continue until the full moon so if you’ve got the time… now is it!

Tight lines!
Playing Hooky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Re: Key Largo, 7/4/09 – WIDE OPEN mutton bite!

Postby RudyGomez » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:20 am

Heck of a catch Jorge. Way to go!
Rudy Gomez
CyberAngler Webmaster
RudyGomez
How about cuttin’ some bait?
How about cuttin’ some bait?

Postby Fish-N-Platano » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:41 pm

Excellent Job Jorge and Jorge.......Hey Jorge I know the feeling in reference to removing those hooks.....
Fish-N-Platano
Swabbie
Swabbie

Postby Playing Hooky » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:53 pm

TJ, the biggest problem with yanking it out was the fishing pliers kept slipping. I couldn't apply enough pressure on the hook so I had to push from the top of the hook (eye) and pull with the pliers at the bend of the hook which meant I couldn't get it out with a yank. It was a slow process of working out the hook out which is not the best way to do this. Ideally, the best way to get these hooks out is with a quick yank so I plan on keeping a pair of needle-nosed pressure pliers on the boat.
Playing Hooky
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Return to Florida - Southeast