Hot Ticket…Tuna

Baja to Seattle

Moderator: admin

Hot Ticket…Tuna

Postby bajafly » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:40 am

Endless Season Update 10/01/2009
REPORT #1185 "Below the Border" Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
East Cape
All these bad boys were 80 to 100 pounds. Caught them on horilitos about 25 miles east of Buenavista along witha high school buddy, Gary Street of Laguna Hills…Mark Rayor.

Here it is October and just to remind everyone that the weather begins to become a little less a sure thing, it kicked up pretty good on Wednesday, but not to worry, it settled right back down the following day.

While other fish are still around and biting, the tuna are still the hot ticket…period. For the fly guys the skipjack and football sized YFT’s are thick enough to wear out the hardiest of anglers in the blazing sun.

Farther offshore, though billfish are still to be found, they are more of an incidental catch. Most boats are racing around looking for tuna under the porpoise.

With the squid still hanging around everyone is loaded for bear (read: tuna), enough chum to turn the head of even the most finicky tuna. When found the chunked squid works for the smaller fish. Those looking for the larger Gorilla class are running to the leading edge of the school and casting live bait then slow trolling. Judging by the photos, it looks like a street fight.

The dorado schools are still close to shore all the way to Cabo Pulmo. Also inshore, as well as from the beach, the rooster bite turned back on but may have slowed a click or two with the recent wind waves that stirred up the water.

Current East Cape Weather http://tiny.cc/EastCapeWeather303

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

On the outer banks, the wahoo action has been outrageous with limits all around for the few boats heading out. There are reports of more marlin arriving every day! Can’t imagine what that means exactly, since I am not aware of the check in point of them. Anyway, though more are being seen, they have not been biting.

Back closer to the beach, the skipjack, dorado and tuna are thick but everyone is more excited about the wahoo.

I haven’t heard much about the Esteros other than the shrimpers are out in full force throughout the bay.

I will be driving down the peninsula Friday the 2nd with stops planned in Mulege to check out some rumors of large snook appearing in the Santa Rosalia River. Then on to Lopez Mateos to fish both beach and offshore for three days with Lance Peterson, our East Cape Guide.

I will return on Friday, the 9th and should have an update on the aftermath of Hurricane Jimena.

Current Magdalena Bay Weather http://tiny.cc/MagBayWeather150

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico

With the blue water about seven miles off the beach, the offshore fishing slowed considerably this week. A large area of hot water has moved in, showing a surface temperature of 87°.
Yesterday, with a total of eight boats fishing in the fleet, those that fished the blue water got zero sailfish and a few dorado. This is the first time I have ever seen the fleet get zero sailfish.
Adolfo, on the panga Dos Hermanos, fished the inshore mostly and told me he is getting about four roosterfish a day.
The roosters are averaging about 35 pounds. …Ed Kunze

Current Zihuatanejo Weather http://tiny.cc/zihuatanejo582

Cabo San Lucas

With the warmer waters coming back, the striped marlin bite has dropped off again. They are all over the place but are being finicky eaters. Bouncing bait off their noses, just gets you “the look” before they swim away. Head of one 550 pounds was brought in on Friday. Just a reminder to everyone, those fish over 300 pounds are the female breeding stock! Take your picture at the side of the boat and let her swim away. Fish like thatare the future of marlin fishing.

Tuna dominated the action again this week with almost every boat being able to get into them. Sizes ranged from 15 pounds to 230 pounds with most of the larger fish being caught on live bait dropped in front of the moving pods of spinner dolphin or spotted dolphin. Report from San Jose of a 357 pound yellowfin brought in up there. And this was the story until Thursday night when three purse seiners moved in on the Pacific side with their helicopters. Not a tuna flag was flying Friday or Saturday. Ok, last minute update. I did get a report Sunday afternoon that a couple of boats had finally found tuna late Saturday, so hopefully they will make a quick comeback this time.

Dorado were sporadic this week; one day there would be plenty and then the next day they could not be found. When you could find them they seemed to be close to the shore on the Pacific side in the warmer water. Averaging 12 to 15 pounds, there were enough larger ones out there to make things interesting.

I saw some nice wahoo come in this week. We had one client bring in a nice 50 pound fish, and I saw a few more in the 20 to 30 pound range.

Most of the Panga Captains are doing well on dorado and tuna since they are close to shore. There are still some decent roosterfish being found and a few snapper and some nice 8 to 10 pound grouper as well. The Pacific side has been the favorite side of the Cape this week.

The week started off great with lots of fish being caught…all different kinds. It’s amazing how a couple of purse seiners setting their nets scares most of the fish off for a couple days. Hopefully they did not completely deplete the stocks as they have done in the past. Five cruise ships are coming to Cabo today, bringing a much needed boost to the local economy!…George and Mary Landrum

Current Cabo Weather http://tiny.cc/cabo191
bajafly
Featured Guide
Featured Guide

Return to Pacific Coast