Administration:
 About Us
 Advertising
 Contact
 Privacy
 Terms of Use
 Web Development

March 6th Fishing Report and New Regulations

Key Largo to Key West - including Florida Bay, the Marquesas and the Dry Tortugas.

Moderator: admin

March 6th Fishing Report and New Regulations

Postby rufishingyet » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:21 am

There is exciting action to report this week in the backcountry. Since January’s unusually cold weather most fishermen were wondering if the bite would ever return. Well I am here to report that I have had great luck this week. The beginning of the week brought good sized Snook, Redfish, Black Drum, and Sea Trout. The latter part of the week I fished with Captain Lain Goodwin with Dirty Water Charters and had luck with lots of Black Drum, Redfish and Trout. The backcountry fishing is returning slowly. As we begin to move into the warmer months I predict the fishing will be red hot for many of the species listed above excluding the Snook.

The Snook took quite a hit from the January cold spell. In response FWC took action by temporary closing the Snook as well as the Tarpon and Bonefish fisheries. This means you may only catch and release these species until further notice. This is a precautionary measure while they compile data from fishermen and research staff who are actively monitoring and collecting information. You can access the most up to date data at http://research.myfwc.com/fishkill/ . This website will give you an actual count of the number of species killed during January’s cold spell. It is interesting to see the enormity of the impact on our beloved fishery! As more research is completed we should have a better understanding of the future impacts January’s chill will have on our future fisheries.

Although Florida residents were rightfully concerned about the prolonged cold we experienced, the FWC reports that January’s cold was not all bad. A few positive impacts were that native freshwater fish species were largely unaffected by the cold temperatures however, non-native species that were introduced to Florida’s waters were seriously impacted, which I have to admit I am very happy to hear. Another positive attribute is the cold temperatures killed Burmese pythons, iguanas and other invasive species that have been invading Florida. Although the cold has not eliminated all of them, it has sharply reduced their numbers.

As for now things are literally heating up and the waters are more productive then they have been for the last few weeks. As you are planning your fishing trip to the beautiful Florida Keys make certain to be well versed in what is biting. The last thing you want to do is try to target a species that is not active. Talk with your selected guide to get the scoop on what is biting and be flexible with your dates. As they say, “Some days are better then others!”

Until next time ask yourself this one question….Are you fishing yet?
am a South Florida native who has been fishing the local waters from Biscayne Bay to Islamorada for over 30 years. After obtaining my captain's license, I have been chartering light tackle and fly fishing enthusiasts in the Key Largo area and Everglades National Park.

My fishing speciality is targeting Snook, Redfish and Sea Trout in the backcountry and Bonefish, Tarpon and Permit on the ocean side flats that surround the Key Largo area. I am very easy to get along with and welcome experienced and novice fisherman. Junior anglers are welcome as well!
rufishingyet
Cabin Boy
Cabin Boy

Return to Florida - The Keys & Florida Bay